Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lump in Chimney  (Read 1399 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Lump in Chimney
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
How do you modify your Weber Chimney in order to light lump charcoal without the small pieces falling through the bottom of the chimney?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lump in Chimney
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:35:25 PM »
I wonder if you cut and fit some fine wire mesh on the bottom how long it would last?
I don't know how you light the fire, newspaper, lighter cubes or whatever, but when I use lump I stopped using a chimney.
I just pile some up on a cooking grate with a couple lighter cubes either buried within or actually sitting under the grate in the kettle bowl. Works great and eliminates the problem of some pieces basically being burnt up like when using a chimney.
On the same page as small pieces falling through, if you have an extra coal grate, lay in 90* on the existing grate and those small pieces won't fall through your cooker.
I had all but given up on lump because of the inconsistency, but after learning from here about the second grate trick, I've started using it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
I have a few thoughts that aren't MOD's but possible workarounds:

1.  Place chimney over a bowl or pan when you fill it so you can catch the small pieces that fall through.  Maybe even give it a little shake to get the small pieces that might fall out on the way to the grill.  Once on the grill you can add the little pieces back into the top of the chimney.

2.  use just enough briquettes in the bottom to ensure the lump won't fall through.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
I have a few thoughts that aren't MOD's but possible workarounds:

1.  Place chimney over a bowl or pan when you fill it so you can catch the small pieces that fall through.  Maybe even give it a little shake to get the small pieces that might fall out on the way to the grill.  Once on the grill you can add the little pieces back into the top of the chimney.

2.  use just enough briquettes in the bottom to ensure the lump won't fall through.

This is what I do...But if you have too much chips and powder it will impede airlow and the whole thing wont light at all...

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »
I asked this question specifically in regards to lighting lump charcoal for a Weber Smoky Joe Cooker as I like using the Compact Weber Chimney.

I use an electric starter in lighting all types of charcoal on my Weber 22" "Mastertouch Grill" and for my WSM 18" "Classic" I always use Weber Blue Bag Charcoal using the large Weber Chimney.

On all of the above cookers I place some round wire mesh on the charcoal grate so the burnt charcoal pieces do not fall through and block the bottom vents and this works very well.

Thanx to all you Forum Members that will/haved responded to this situation.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:31 AM »
How do you modify your Weber Chimney in order to light lump charcoal without the small pieces falling through the bottom of the chimney?

I cut some EM and made a cone of sorts, then placed it into the chimney.  Also have one for the mini.
I made a template out of paper, then cut the EM using an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.
It is not permanent, as I don't use it for briquets.

It does wear-out over time … so I made a couple more layers last summer and welded them together.  Works great !!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.