Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri-tip  (Read 1622 times)

selfservebrewer

• Smokey Joe
Tri-tip
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
I've made several of these, with various techniques. This past cook I reverse seared it.
I got the (prime) cut from Costco, around $6.50/lb. I used Stubbs briquets & a few chunks of Red Oak. Seasoned only with Suzie Q's. I'm guessing the massive marbling is what made this one of my best tri-tips ever.
I also made homemade chimichurri sauce; Olive oil, fresh garlic, Italian parsley, red wine vinegar, ground oregano, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper.
Sliced the tri-tip thin & made sandwiches on fresh local bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:11:30 PM by selfservebrewer »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Tri-tip
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »
Wow!  That is one of the best tri-tips I've seen, both pre and post cook.  I've never seen marbling like that in a tri-tip.
Well done!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
I need to find a butcher. All I ever see is pre-packaged pre-seasoned tri tip. I've never had one. Looks great!    Is it just a big steak?

selfservebrewer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
I need to find a butcher. All I ever see is pre-packaged pre-seasoned tri tip. I've never had one. Looks great!    Is it just a big steak?

@HoosierKettle the tri-tip is a triangular muscle from the bottom of the sirloin. Back in the day it used to be just ground into hamburger. Controversial, but most people say a butcher in Santa Maria, CA is who 1st cooked it up and made it what it is today. The Red oak & Suzie Q's seasoning I used are both from Santa Maria. :)

selfservebrewer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
Wow!  That is one of the best tri-tips I've seen, both pre and post cook.  I've never seen marbling like that in a tri-tip.
Well done!!!!
Thank you VERY much @MikeRocksTheRed! I appreciate it!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
I'd love one of those sandwiches. Need to try this. What IT did you go to before the sear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Tri-tip
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
That the best looking TT's I've ever seen. So much marbling. I bet that was fantastic. [emoji106]

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:14:56 PM by Travis »

selfservebrewer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
I'd love one of those sandwiches. Need to try this. What IT did you go to before the sear?

@kettlebb I think I went to 100 IT before the sear, and pulled them around 120-ish.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
Excellent looking TT...Love cooking them but I usually sear and then move indirect to finish...Just seems to give me more control of the finish temp...

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
That looks really good! Nice looking sandwich.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 02:24:16 AM »
Yummmmm.  Starving now.  I want every bit of that.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »
Damn that looks great!
I'd agree, seemed to be incredibly marbled, I so wish we had a Costco, we've only got a Sams club...☹️

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Really does look awesome.  Here in St Louis they are hard to find and when you do they are much smaller.  Still turn out great though, I have only ever used the reverse seat method.