Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken satay  (Read 1486 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Chicken satay
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:04:20 AM »
I hate going to a restaurant and ordering mediocre food for astronomical prices, when I KNOW my Weber and I can do a much better job at a fraction of the cost.  Thus my inspiration to make this dish, chicken satay.

The marinade is laborious if using a mortar and pestle, but I think the coarser texture of the resulting paste clings to the meat better.  I've tried shortcutting using a blender, but it becomes too wet. 
Clockwise: coconut milk, tumeric, brown sugar, fish sauce, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lemongrass, garlic, tamarind, ginger, shallots, chilies.Toast coriander and cumin seeds.Start pounding away in the mortar and pestle, adding each dry ingredient one at a time.Moved to a mixing bowl and added the wet ingredients, coconut milk, brown sugar, and fish sauce.Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into 1/2" strips and marinated for about 6 hours.This was kinda fun, I used a leftover stalk of lemongrass, crushed the bulb, and used it to baste the chicken with coconut oil while grilling.  Thanks YouTube.  Time to make the skewers, definitely use gloves anytime tumeric is involved otherwise you'll end up with yellow hands.  The bamboo skewers were soaked in water.I used a chimney full of Cowboy lump under Craycort cast iron grill grates in my 18" SS OTP.Picked up this big wood scraper from Costco for only $15, seen them elsewhere for $30+Served with a peanut sauce and over coconut rice. 

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Chicken satay
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:11:54 AM »
Damn fine job on that meal, and I love the kettle!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:13 AM »
That is an awesome cook! And a hell of a deal on the scraper. I love mine but paid more than you did from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »
That looks excellent! Thanks for sharing!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
That looks great!!! Why have I never seen your 18 with the Genesis table before.  Love it!!!

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »
Absolutely looks delicious! Great job, thanks for the step by step pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »
That cook is awesome I love both beef and chicken satay
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for the step-by-step cook up, I can imagine the chicken was delicious! Very crafty use of the SS Genesis parts too!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
That looks delicious!  Like how you use alot of spice and TLC.  I feel the same way about going out to eat.  Many times me and the wife are disappointed with low quality bland food.  Our house is the best restaurant for us.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
Nice job. Thanks for sharing. I love chicken satay
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »
Nicely done again. Both the cook and the SS top OTP looks fantastic.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
The food looks great and the photos are excellent.  Thanks for sharing.

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Man thats awesome,  grill and food amazing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app