Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Upside Down SNS  (Read 2087 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Upside Down SNS
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
@ABCbarbecue - Just saw someone ask in a facebook group about using an SNS upside down to kind of create a vortex effect.  Any official yes, try it, or no, don't do it on this one?  Someone brought up the possibility of warping the water reservoir.  It's actually raining here in AZ tonight or I'd go outside and flip mine over for some initial thoughts.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: Upside Down SNS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
The width of the top of the SnS is greater than the width of the charcoal grate on a Weber 22".  Really, you don't need to flip it over.  The walls of the SnS help deflect the heat up as they are and if you push it the SnS will reach temps hotter than anyone has any right cooking at, especially with a hot burning charcoal.  I've pegged HI (above 1042) with my IR gun using Kingsford Blue Bag.  That's TOO much heat.  They'r better off leaving it right side up.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
The width of the top of the SnS is greater than the width of the charcoal grate on a Weber 22".  Really, you don't need to flip it over.  The walls of the SnS help deflect the heat up as they are and if you push it the SnS will reach temps hotter than anyone has any right cooking at, especially with a hot burning charcoal.  I've pegged HI (above 1042) with my IR gun using Kingsford Blue Bag.  That's TOO much heat.  They'r better off leaving it right side up.

Agree here. For sear zone usage, the SNS kills the vortex in size of hot zone. The heat difference isn't enough to matter.
The only thing the vortex has going for it, for me, is the ring of wings method. You can get the same results with the SNS, but it's more work and less photogenic.
That said, the standard charcoal baskets don't do all that bad in the ring of wings cook.

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Mine warped after one proper use of searing. So I'm voting for inverted use.
Search of Blue or Green MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
Pretty sure mine did too. Wobbles on the charcoal grate and the cooking grate wobbles when the SnS is in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 06:48:23 PM »

Agree here. For sear zone usage, the SNS kills the vortex in size of hot zone. The heat difference isn't enough to matter.
The only thing the vortex has going for it, for me, is the ring of wings method. You can get the same results with the SNS, but it's more work and less photogenic.
That said, the standard charcoal baskets don't do all that bad in the ring of wings cook.

I hear you both.  It was an interesting idea, and if it wasn't raining here I would have gone outside and flipped my SNS over and looked at it.  I agree that the SNS does a great job of searing and give a lot more space than the vortex. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »

The inside edge of my reservoir isn't super straight but still gets the job done!

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »

The inside edge of my reservoir isn't super straight but still gets the job done!
Mine also. Plus bottom grate has warped an separated at center. But ..yes...it still handles the job

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
And I don't want to turn this into a SNS defect thread.  I'm sure if you are having an issue they will take care of it.  I love my SNS and have no complaints !!!!

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
Asked a question about warping. Giving my experience/thoughts. Not bashing it.   

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »

I've used a STOK charcoal holder inverted (same shape for all intents and purposes as a vortex) for ring of wings cooks as well as the charcoal baskets.  I get the same awesome results.  I don't think anyone needs the vortex if they have charcoal baskets already.

vs-
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 03:07:34 AM »
Yeah capt, my wings always turn out fantastic with baskets alone and my cook times match what others describe using vortex. Vortex does look cooler though and maybe saves some real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
I rock a Poortex from time to time, waiting on the fedex guy to deliver my SnS...Cant wait to try it.
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
Yeah capt, my wings always turn out fantastic with baskets alone and my cook times match what others describe using vortex. Vortex does look cooler though and maybe saves some real estate.

Can you please provide the details on how you cook those wings with the baskets?    Thanks!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »