Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone seen the new Genesis II up close yet ?  (Read 5812 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone seen the new Genesis II up close yet ?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 01:37:24 AM »
I also wonder why they did not include the Gourmet Grate on the SS version of the new Genesis. Seems that would be useful. (Unless I missed that.)

Looks like Weber has a new line of grates coming out for the new models. These look awesome and well thought out. So no GBS for the new lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »
Nice - I could use that sear grate on my gasser.
Retired

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
I don't think that barbecue rack is specifically for the new Genesis, I've seen it out for awhile and it's a different size.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
So I got another chance to look at these again.

What I dislike:
1. It just feels cheaper than previous Genesis models
Examples:
I don't understand this tank cover, it will break with a high wind, additionally, it doesn't even look big enough to cover a full sized tank.

The table ends are plastic, previously they were aluminum and very strong
Current line

Previous line

I don't like the hood design where it connects to the handle,  It looks cheap additionally the control knobs and ignitor are greatly cheapened over the previous versions
Current line

Previous line

The end table themselves are a down grade over the previous line, I don't understand fold down end tables on a 3 burner stationary gas grill.

Finally, I am not understanding Weber's strategy, the amount of versions of the Genesis is very confusing.  The only thing I can think is they are getting rid of the Spirit and Summit lines.

What I do like, I think the design in the fire box is very nice, the burners look very solid.

I also like igrill integration that is a nice touch.

Overall, as I said in either this thread or another.  I think Weber has cut a lot of corners, I am not sure the reasoning, some say it is greed of the investment firm some say it is the market forcing Weber in this direction.  I worry that this brand will be in the same category as Charbroil in 10 years.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
I agree with @LightningBoldtz assessments. I will also add that the sheet metal frame components feel flimsier that the original Genesis and E-series Genesis. I had a chance to see an Genesis II LX model up close and the improved quality/rigidity (over the E-series Genesis and regular Genesis II) of the lower frame structure is noticeable. Also, the finish of the hood handle is similar to the E-series Genesis and is more aesthetically pleasing than the regular genesis II line. Both are robustly built but the Genesis II LX's bolted straight handle looks less finished. Overall it seems like the regular Genesis II quality falls between the previous generation Genesis and Spirit.

Last but certainly not least, The burners themselves are a work of engineering so kudos to them for that. I encourage you to go to the hardware store and pull them off yourself and check it out. It's very easy to do with no tools required. The burner holes are much larger so they will be less prone to clogging and rust-out. The burners are made of thick, bent sheet metal. The rectangular cross section also likely makes them easier to manufacture and pack-out (likely with automation).

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 04:10:15 AM »
So I don't think any store that I have visited had the genesis II xl.

I seem to get the new products now, I was comparing a 6 burner genesis II to a previous e330.

So I should be putting a 3 burner genesis II xl to an E330 because they both have the same hood design and the side burner.  Then you have to ask what happened to the sear station that many people loved about the 330?

Looking at this further I agree Lawrence the genesis II looks between a e series gen and a spirit.  Oh and regarding that tank cover, go to the website and look at the 360 pics, it clearly shows that thing doesn't even cover the entire tank.  Huge mistake.  I know people who would only buy a grill that did not show a tank.  Those kind of people are the ones that have a grand to drop on a grill.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
So I got a chance to see the XL's up close and all I can say is Hole-EEEE-Crap. 

I don't know what the thought is here but the 2 burner is $999

The 3 burner is $1299, IDK what the cost of the 4 burner is but I did see the 6 burner and that came in @ $1999, that is a full $700 over the non XL model

I am baffled, I was completely shocked that Weber think #1 that anyone would pay $999 for a 2 burner and 2K for any grill.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:06 AM »
It's cheap I saw it. Disappointing
The genesis 1 is way better built.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »

The 3 burner is $1299, IDK what the cost of the 4 burner is but I did see the 6 burner and that came in @ $1999, that is a full $700 over the non XL model

I am baffled, I was completely shocked that Weber think #1 that anyone would pay $999 for a 2 burner and 2K for any grill.

I actually think the $1000 2 burner is a good call as it fills the niche for compact "high end" propane grills for the (luxury) apartment market. These people may want small but high quality grills without having to go with Viking, Firemagic, GE/Monogram, Dacor, Lynx, Etc. The majority of these people are not likely don't watch CL like a hawk for a $10 kettle. Maybe the 2 burner SS Genesis II is the current incarnation of the Genesis Jr.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:11:42 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

I actually think the $1000 2 burner is a good call as it fills the niche for compact "high end" propane grills for the (luxury) apartment market. These people may want small but high quality grills without having to go with Viking, Firemagic, GE/Monogram, Dacor, Lynx, Etc. The majority of these people are not likely don't watch CL like a hawk for a $10 kettle. Maybe the 2 burner SS Genesis II is the current incarnation of the Genesis Jr.

Interesting perspective.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »
After looking at these grills up close my feeing is that the heavy lid and the large control dials provide an illusion of quality, but when you look close, the open cart models appear flimsy and comparable in quality to cheaper grills.  The burners might be an improvement.  So what I conclude is that you will get a grill that performs well and looks great, but may not last as long, or maintain its appearance as long as you might expect.  I read on the internet that Weber has reduced the quality of the steel in some of their models to maintain the price point ($Profit), and you see in some reviews customers complaining about rust in new genesis grills. I think for the price Weber gets for these grills the material quality would be better.  I also think that Weber is clever in that that if you want a full cart genesis you have to step up to a high price. For $1,999 as shown in the above pic, other brands are worth looking at.

btomlin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
I have not seen the new versions in person, but, by looks, I sure am happy that I bought my EP310 last year.  It makes a nice backup to my 2 free kettles.  :)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
Spent a lot of time looking at the new grills while trying to find the previous generation S-330.  In looking at the 6 burner Gen II, it almost seems as Weber is trying to make room to move the Summit even further up market.