Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking pre-heat or not?  (Read 1426 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Smoking pre-heat or not?
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »
So here's my question to everyone here, when smoking on the Weber (using any method) do you let the kettle pre-heat or do you just throw the meat on? I sometimes will pre-heat it but decided this time to just put the meat on and let the temp build up.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Smoking pre-heat or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »
I've done both also. Let it come up like an oven and throw it on as it's coming to temp. Didn't notice a damn bit of difference or times, for that matter. I throw it on there whenever it hits about 200ish, and let it go till I get my temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoking pre-heat or not?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
I usually preheat. Got in a rush this past Christmas morning. Put the turkey on, soon as the thick white stopped. Took forever to get over 300°. Added at least an hour to my cook time.
Still need a 22” yellow

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
I'm straight on.
If I'm running a snake I light the fuse, put the meat on, close the lid, dial in the temps as it comes up, and don't open up the lid till morning
In the WSM same thing, drop the coals to start the Minion, put the meat on, dial in temps and wait til morning

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:20:51 AM »
Set it up, get the fuse / minion set up n lit,  toss the meat on and watch the maverick and adjust vents accordingly.   Now that i have a TTT, i set that up and away we go....
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoking pre-heat or not?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:25:33 AM »
I usually always pre-heat by default. I get the chimney going first, then prep what I'm cooking, then set up cooker. Only takes a few minutes to come up to temp.

My main issue is scraping my grates when I'm using the snake method. Often times I fire up 2 chimneys to start and dump one chimney in a second kettle spread even so I can scrape and clean my grates with some heat. Then transfer over to the snake kettle. Sounds like a lot of work but I haven't figured out another way to heat my grates up.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 05:06:35 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work but I haven't figured out another way to heat my grates up.

When I am done with my cook, I usually open all vents, spread the coals around or move the baskets to where the food was, wait about 10 minutes then clean them off. I
Don't usually re-use coals except for my in my WSM, so I just let it burn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk