Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Sous Vide Cook - Prime Rib  (Read 2998 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Sous Vide Cook - Prime Rib
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 03:04:52 AM »
The other part (hush don't tell anyone) is that I like having the excuse that I need to go out of the house and chill by the pit with a beer because I need to tend the meat.

Sous Vide works fine in the garage, shed, tent, cave...run an extension cord if you have to. Your lobster boat have a cabin? 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-lobster.html
Retired

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 04:34:51 AM »
The other part (hush don't tell anyone) is that I like having the excuse that I need to go out of the house and chill by the pit with a beer because I need to tend the meat.

Sous Vide works fine in the garage, shed, tent, cave...run an extension cord if you have to. Your lobster boat have a cabin? 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-lobster.html

I don't own a boat, We own a lobster dock and are lobster dealers.  Now with that link you've got me thinking...
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 05:00:54 AM »
Looks about perfect.

I'm on the fence about it.  Some very accomplished chefs I know rave about them relentlessly but there's just something about the challenge about cooking with charcoal and meat probes.  It seems like the SV would take a lot of the fun out of it.   The other part (hush don't tell anyone) is that I like having the excuse that I need to go out of the house and chill by the pit with a beer because I need to tend the meat.
The SV is a great tool to have in your tool belt. One of the great things about this device, is when you are busy with work and life stuff, it is sitting there in the background, churning away, cooking, and all you have to do when you get home is sear it for a few minutes of your time, then serve. I was like you... on the fence about it. Then a very dear friend/chef talked me into it. I never looked back.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »

Just read that article Marty. Holy crap. Anybody who says sous vide cooking is for the lazy needs to read up on that fella's lobster process.

I was on the fence about it because it does not involve the great outdoors, danger and fire nearly as much as Webers. And my charcoal pile calls to me.....the Kettles too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
Great looking hunk of beef @MrHoss...I have yet to get a SV and not sure that I want one. I like the challenge of cooking the perfect steak, roast or whatever. Maybe if I was cooking for lots of people at once more often I'd think about getting one. Till then, the fire awaits me.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
Great cook @MrHoss!  I love my sous vide.  I don't use it a lot, but I love being able to have the meat just hanging out and ready for whenever guests arrive or my brother-in-laws kids are put to bed.  You do lose a little bit of that grill flavor, but I've found that the vortex screaming around 1200 degrees remedies that, especially for beef!  Did some 2" new york strips last week while helping the B-I-L watch the little ones while the girls were out for the night.  It was so easy to get the grill going for the sear when he was putting the kids to sleep.  It's also great for burgers if you are having a gathering...you can have a bunch of burgers ready to go as people arrive and are hungry then just sear them off as needed.  I did one batch of burgers where I put cheese between two thinner patties and then vacuum sealed them.  The vacuum sealing really work well to fuse both patties together around the cheese in the middle.  It's also a great way to cheat if you are making a multi-course dinner.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

Worked good......

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 04:10:46 AM »

Worked good......

Looks good!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

FrugalQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »
I like that you got to showcase your knives. I always try to sneak my shuns in a pic here and there also. They're almost as pretty as that lobster!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 04:49:25 AM »
Hoss you & I could have some serious fun drinking that Scotch and modding that SV so it does involve fire & danger, youll be able to heat a swimming pool with it by the time the first bottle is empty.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
^^^I love it.^^^