Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Year Brisket  (Read 1750 times)

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
New Year Brisket
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

Went to the store tho buy a brisket tip I saw on Thursday. They had three, should've gotten it then because they were all out so got this 12lb instead to start the new year right. Got a question though. Its 18" long and my kettle is 22. Anyone ever pulled this off? I'm new to Weber products and tempted to through it on the smoker but it just eats to much wood and charcoal. Hoping to use the kettle until I get a WSM and get rid of the old smoker.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Year Brisket
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
I've had a full packer to the edge of the kettle before. They shrink up naturally and I wasn't too concerned about it. Good luck with your cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
 Thinking I'll do a 3-2-1 hoping to get a little more time out of it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
New Year Brisket
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
Hey John. Your kettle will do just fine. How are you going to do your fire? Get the coffee pot ready. Be a great night. Happy New Year.

Edit- what do you mean a 3-2-1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »
 I've been doing brisket for a long time but i always hear about a full packer. What kind of cut is that?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
I've been doing brisket for a long time but i always hear about a full packer. What kind of cut is that?

Full packer is the full brisket. It is the point and flat together, not separated.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:49:37 PM »
You can put an oven safe bowl under the brisket, to get it to fit better, until it starts to shrink up. I have done this before with great results. I used a CB Stacker on my 18 Outrider.

This a full packer ready to go on the Outrider...

I only used the bowl to help pull the edges of the brisket away from the direct heat rising up the sides of the stacker. Once it shrunk up, I removed the bowl and kept cookin. If there is no fire directly under the brisket, I don't think you have anything to worry about. This is a full packer on a 22 kettle, using a standard snake. Plenty of room...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:01:11 PM by Jason »

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:05:27 AM »

And it's on like donkey kong!

Going to catch a few z's if i can. Started early so i don't think about it so much. Just let it be.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »

Just pulled it off. First brisket on the kettle. Letting it rest now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
Looks great! How did you set up your snake?When did you refuel if needed? Details!

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Thanks, ended up doing a 2-2-1 snake almost all the way around. Had to refuel at noon. Basically just made another snake backwards from where the end point. Nothing fancy just through them in there. Wood was kingsford apple wood chunks. This will be my first with apple, usually use pecan.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
Cool. That seems to be the norm for that size snake. 6-8ish hours then refuel. I've only got a few runs under my belt with the snake so always like to hear how others work.
That brisket looks killer man

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »

Didn't turn out to bad. It is different on the kettle then the smoker. Think this will do until I get a WSM. The smoke ring didn't come through that much. Seems like it could be the apple maybe. Apple seems a little milder then pecan. I'll have to try some ribs with it next.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »
I've only done one brisket, so take this with a grain of salt. I do a lot of pork smoking with fruit woods. Hard woods work better for beef.
Still need a 22” yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
I agree with @TheDude about the wood. Some species compliment meats better than others. The brisket itself will vary. Always be selective when choosing. Cooking on a kettle is totally different from your offset. When using an offset I always put the point towards the fire and when I use the kettle with the snake I adopted the same technique. Maybe helped, maybe not. Just something I've always done.