Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas Cooks  (Read 983 times)

JDLones

• WKC Brave
Christmas Cooks
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
Hey guys and gals. It's been a while since I've posted anything. It's been a little crazy around here for the past few months. Anyway, I wanted to share two cooks I did for Christmas.

First, I did a turkey on the rotisserie. It was a 13 pounder, and I used the Simon & Garfunkel rub mixed with olive oil to make a wet rub. Here it is rubbed, trussed and ready to spin.

I smoked it with just a couple of small wild cherry chunks.

A few hours later and it was ready. I was quite happy with the results. I've done a few of these now and they seem to get better with every one. I guess I should do them more often huh?

I didn't get any pics after I carved it. It didn't last all that long. It must have been good.

The second cook was a standing rib roast. I had the butcher cut the bones off for me, and cooked them separately for a snack for the cook. [emoji41]

I trimmed it, rolled it, tied it and rubbed it. I simply used the MontrealSteak seasoning at my wife's request. Here it is on the grill with the ribs.

Again, I was quite happy with the result. I used just a tiny bit of hickory on this one. There wasn't much talk at first around the dinner table, so again, it must have been good. I enjoyed it.

Oh, and my little snack was pretty tasty too.

Thanks for looking, and I hope everyone has a very happy New Years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Christmas Cooks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »
That all looks mighty tasty!  Nicely done.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
That turkey looks pretty awesome. How's that Simon and Garfunkle rub?
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »
I like it a lot, especially on turkey. Granted I haven't tried anything else, but it works very, very well.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 12:24:32 AM »
Looks mighty fine!  I've got a rib roast in the fridge that I rubbed yesterday that's gonna get cooked for today's football game after I take my annual New Years Day dip in the Atlantic.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
You have fun with that, Captain!! The dip, that is. I'm sure the roast will be awesome.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »
Great looking cooks.  I haven't done a turkey on my roto yet but like the idea I saw in your pic of placing the baskets pacman style on the darkmeat end of the bird!  Will probably do it that way for chickens too!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!