Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reverse Sear: Rest your steaks before you sear? After you sear? Or both?  (Read 1304 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Reverse sear question which is more opinion based. Do you guys rest your steaks before you sear? After you sear? Or both?

I've seen it done both ways.

Who prefers which and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
I've only rested before the sear for the thought that once seared you could serve while still piping hot and not lose juices.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
I rest before I sear , pull at 90 and rest till 120 , then sear. There is a little rest period after but I try and serve hot off the sear when possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
I rest 10-15 minutes before searing and then serve ! Resting gives me time to get more coals hotter to sear with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer

A good buddy who happens to be a self-trained chef passed along his method to me.  I use it every time ….

Rest, sear, rest, rest, beer, sear, sous-vide, rest, beer, sear, beer-vide, rest, then pass out ….  Eat the steak in the morning with eggs.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ

A good buddy who happens to be a self-trained chef passed along his method to me.  I use it every time ….

Rest, sear, rest, rest, beer, sear, sous-vide, rest, beer, sear, beer-vide, rest, then pass out ….  Eat the steak in the morning with eggs.  YMMV

Awesome!!!!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
I've done it both ways but alway rest between indirect and direct now.  I do it for a few reasons.  Your steak is going to keep cooking.  If you rest it I've found I usually gain 3-5 degrees before it starts cooling.  If you go straight from indirect to direct your steak is still cooking in the middle and now that will move faster due to the high heat its getting.  I also like to rest it until it stops rising and goes down a few degrees or more so that I can leave my lid off of the grill to let the coals really get going hot for the sear if doing it direct or to give cast iron (prewarmed on the stove) time to get as hot as possible.

I've never overshot the desired done temp when resting in between the indirect and direct portions of the cook by more than 2 degrees....and most of the reverse sears I have done have stopped increasing in temp right at my desired temp.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!