Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sous Vide = Cheating!?  (Read 2302 times)

blieb

• WKC Brave
Sous Vide = Cheating!?
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:45:17 AM »
Got a SV last week, a few friends have them and rave about them.  Amazon had them discounted... soooooo what the hell.

I fooled around with some soft boiled and scrambled eggs...

Then I tried it on a couple ribeyes.  Cooked at 120 (IIRC), 1 did 60 mins, 1 for 90 - I did this to compare texture.  They were the same to me.  After the bath, I used a skillet for about 1 minute per side.  Steaks were great.

So of course next I had to go big, 6.73 lb prime rib, 3 bone.  Prayed I wouldn't screw it up, big bucks for a screwup.

Final thoughts after pics...

Salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.

After 24 hours at 130.  I read recipes saying anywhere from 6 to 24 hours... go big or go home, right!?

Gave it a pat down, added some salt, then out to the Plum SS for searing.

My heart sank a little, but trust in the process.

I probably should have trimmed the top a little, it didn't crust completely.

End result was perfection.  I didn't get a shot with the au jus.  The bag makes it easy to keep and pour all the juices, and without evaporation. Next time I may ice bath after SV, before sear.

The SV is neat.  It helps keep a LOT of moisture in the meat.  It provides an even cook without heat increase after removal.  The ends weren't well done, and there wasn't an overcooked ring around the exterior.  It allowed me to hit an exact serving time.  I could see using it for a lot of steaks to serve at once.

There's some guilt about cheating.  But it doesn't replace a good smoke and it doesn't provide a crust... another tool for the arsenal, lots more experimenting to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:49:07 AM by blieb »
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Sous Vide = Cheating!?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:51:43 AM »
@blieb, I really appreciate the review and documenting your first use of the SV.  I'm on the fence personally, but can't argue that prime rib looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »
That looks incredible,man.
I saw in @MrHoss thread that the steak was smoked first at a low temp, sv'd, then given an ice bath, finishing up with the sear. If your looking for some smoke flavor, might give it a go for another experiment.
I have to say I can see the benefit of using a SV in the respect of time for one example. Being able to set it before heading out the door for the day then coming home, throw in in a pan real quick or the grill for color and serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:54:18 AM »
"Next time I may ice bath after SV, before sear."

Don't do it too long. Maybe 4 to 8 minutes tops on a big roast. I did a one bone prime rib and did the ice bath for maybe 15 minutes....too long as after the sear the center was not hot enough for my liking. I did have hot au jus and fixed it that way. Thing is I should have gotten it right in the first place.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
@MrHoss - good to know, thanks!  Also liked seeing that you did one too, as I logged on to post!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
I love my sous vide, I am all about good food so when you get the results that you want in any fashion it is not cheating.......
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:48 AM »
That's what I was thinking.  Why would you consider sous vide cheating? It's just another method of cooking.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
Don't tell my grill it's not cheating ;) ... Can't even look it in the eye right now.  I promised I'd cook some pizza on it this weekend...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 10:07:42 AM »
You know.....I bet you can smoke a pot of clarified butter on a slow-n-low cook, then use it in the food bags in place of EVOO for the Sous Vide portion of a cook and get some of the smokey flavor back that you lose with a typical Sous Vide cook!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
You know.....I bet you can smoke a pot of clarified butter on a slow-n-low cook, then use it in the food bags in place of EVOO for the Sous Vide portion of a cook and get some of the smokey flavor back that you lose with a typical Sous Vide cook!
and.....bookmarked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:07 AM »
Man, that looks great!

I like this smoky butter gig... great idea!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 05:27:30 AM »

This! Great idea!

Sent from my Star Fleet Communicator using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Christopher
2016 MT