Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilled Lionfish  (Read 3796 times)

Cellar2ful

Grilled Lionfish
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »

Here is something you don't see everyday. Venomous Lionfish. Whole foods had a bunch of them on ice so I figured what the heck.  All the venomous fins and spines were already removed.   Really cool looking fish but neither the wife nor I were impressed.  I'll stick with ling cod, halibut and my favorite, salmon. Anyone else tried them?  How about you @captjoe06?

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grilled Lionfish
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
Beautiful looking fish. I guess until it sticks you. Good pics, Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
I think @captjoe06 is in the NE. Water is far too cold for lion fish. They are popular in the pet trade, and now very invasive in FL waters. They are wreaking havoc on FL reefs. Spear fishermen are encouraged to kill all they can.

Now off my soapbox... I've heard they have a fairly mild taste. Stuck in the Midwest, I don't get much in the way of seafood. :(
Still need a 22” yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »

@TheDude- Earlier this year, I watched a program on how states that were having problems with them were trying to create a commercial market for them. Thought I would try and support the effort but I was not impressed. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
Neat! Sounds $$$ though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 11:34:33 PM »
I never knew you could eat those.  Yeah,  we don't get them up here

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:46 AM »
Lionfish are also a problem here in NC.  We've never been able to find them as the fish markets don't seem to have them and we've asked a couple of times.  As you might imagine,  they are difficult to clean with the spines and all.  They are trying to develop a commercial fishery here in NC for them also.  They are also difficult to catch as spear fishing seems to be the most effective way to catch them.  Evidently nets and hook and line aren't particularly effective.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:27:11 AM »

@ECinEI -These had no spear or trident wounds that were visible.  I should have asked how and where they were sourced. First time I have seen them for sale here in California though. 

@pbe gummi bear-Not bad @ $12 a pound. The two pictured were $14 for both.  About the same price I pay for line caught ling cod. Visually stunning on the grill and when plated. Problem is I think about 3/4 to 1 pound is as big as they get. I prefer thicker, meatier fillets.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
What was the issue? Flavour?, texture? size?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
What was the issue? Flavour?, texture? size?

The meat was not firm enough for me. I prefer fish that have a firmer texture when cooked.  I even popped out the little cheek meat under each gill plate on the lionfish. Those I liked but they were the size of dimes.  If I am going to have fish cheeks, I go for halibut cheeks.  Expensive but out of this world.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
I would think they would be cheap given that they are basically a pest and breed and breed and breed.  It'd cool if they just sold they fillets for tacos and stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »

Interesting article in the San Francisco Chronicle today on invasive species (including Lionfish) being marketed to consumers. Guess I was on the cutting edge. 

http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Invasive-fish-species-making-their-way-onto-Bay-10833446.php