Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Altitude!?  (Read 1156 times)

Shaffl

• Happy Cooker
Altitude!?
« on: December 15, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Guys, stuff just doesnt work the same here at 6500 ft up.  Can't use the 5x8 a maze n tray and trying to keep temps up is more of challenge than slowing things down.   Any tips from anyone else in the mile high plus club?

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Altitude!?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
Ever tried a stoker or a chimney of some sort?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Shaffl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
No I have the kettle and a propane smoker.  Lack of oxygen.  It is what it is I guess. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
Last night I put my amaze-n-tube on top of my cooking grate above my vortex while doing wings.  It worked great and gave me tons of smoke but I noticed my temps weren't as high as usual.  I took the tube off of the grill and then my temps went back up to the expected range.  I think the smoke that the tube was producing was actually choking out the coals in the vortex.  I'd maybe give you amaze-n-tray another shot but leave your lid cracked a little bit to allow more air to come in.  Also, I found that alcohol gel works really good for getting my pellets lit, and I have to let them flame for 3-5 minutes before putting the lid on, otherwise they tend to go out.  I'm assuming you are using your tray for cold smoking so having your lid cracked to give it more air wouldn't be a factor as far as maintaining temp.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
Did a competition at the base in Whistler/Blackcomb BC, Canada and found out the hard way how altitude affects cook temps and times on WSM's!

Start your cooks sooner and cook hotter. @Shaffl what are you using in the A-Mazen-Tray, sawdust, chips or pellets? More oxygen needed at higher elevations.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Shaffl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:53 PM »
I use pellets but it wont stay lit.  Now the amazen tubes work fine, there must be greater air flow with those.  I called Todd to ask what the trick was to keeping the tray lit.  First thing he asked me was where I was located and when I told him he sent me a tube!

And if the temp is much below 50 a 2x2 snake gets maybe 225 on the lid thermo wide open.