Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wednesday Wings  (Read 2423 times)

blieb

• WKC Brave
Wednesday Wings
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »
Just a little Wednesday Wing dinner.  Pulled out some wings... Oil, kosher salt, Weber roasted garlic seasoning.  My first time trying the roasted garlic seasoning, it was GREAT.

Starting...

I've been trying to encourage the yoots to get involved so they can learn.  Had one volunteer last night while his older brother rolled in the dirt. :|

Post flip.  I didn't use the lid last night.  It was all about the cook.  I actively flipped and moved wings as needed.  In the bottom right you can see I always try to leave a low heat spot just in case... I also leave a little spot open in the middle.

Ready to serve.  The oldest boy ate about 8 of them... a new record.
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wednesday Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:43:19 AM »
Looks good.  Maybe a questionable looking drumette in there ;)

Try baskets in the middle and wings placed around if you haven't already.  I had previously been cooking them similar to what it looks like you did and they always turn out great, but the baskets in the middle method is easier and turns out fantastic wings imo.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
Awesome!! I have been an advocate of kids in the kitchen and BBQ pits for a long time. My 7 year old grand daughter is a natural. Teach 'em young... they will never forget the experience and time you spent with them showing them the ropes!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:35:10 AM »
Looks good.  Maybe a questionable looking drumette in there ;)

Try baskets in the middle and wings placed around if you haven't already.  I had previously been cooking them similar to what it looks like you did and they always turn out great, but the baskets in the middle method is easier and turns out fantastic wings imo.
I knew someone would catch it.  That sucker was a fatty, I left it on high heat the longest.

Last week I put all the coals in the middle just to try it.  I'd been thinking about a vortex.  I felt like it took a lot longer with the wings outside the fire, and any drippings don't burn up ...  I'll give the baskets a try to be thorough, in the name of science and more chicken wings. ;)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
I fill baskets with one whole chimney and that basically has the coals touching the grate in a pile above the baskets. If you let coals get going completely it is an intense fire in the middle.  A batch of wings can be done and crispy in about 25 minutes. 30 tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »
Vents wide open of course.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
I would also like to point out that as long as your cooking wings on the kettle with your family, there is no wrong way.  Probably my single favorite thing I grill and is always a big hit with friends and family no matter the method I've used.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Wednesday Wings
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
Looks great and love how you got the boy involved. That's the best part!
Got some wings on right now using baskets. Got a question for you guys, do you sear them first and then slide indirect? I like that added char to the wing. Not hijacking your thread, blieb, just using as example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:21:59 AM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
I don't find it necessary with a good hot fire but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Last time I used this method on pork chops and bacon wrapped esparagus, I did need to sear them before I pulled them off to get the proper char and add crispness to the bacon. I have been starting off indirect then searing on an as needed basis no matter what I'm cooking.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »
Travis, no hijacking concern!  Here to talk it all out! :)

The other night with indirect heat, after the meat was cooked I put the wings over the coals to crisp them up.  But you can see, I cook a lot of wings!  It took a while and I was using Kingsford Blue label so my heat was slowing.

I could have crisped first then slide off to the side.

I've not achieved a good crisp from purely indirect heat. :/

I might have to do a wing roundup experiment one evening to test methods.  Good excuse to fire up multiple kettles.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 03:28:35 PM »
Coals in the middle and using kbb should rage for at least 45 minutes to an hour. If "rage" is a term to describe hot coals lol. I've done them twice so far and didn't seem to have any trouble getting the skin good and crispy and I didn't have to sear them before or after.  If you can't tell, I was blown away by the speed and ease [emoji3][emoji481].  Again I fill my baskets beyond full all the way to the grate.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Wednesday Wings
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 05:06:22 AM »
I've tried cooking wings a couple different ways now and have found this way to be the best, for me. You do get a great crispy skin cooking totally indirect. I just sear them first just for the extra bite or "char". Personal preference.

2 baskets is a full chimney load of coals and it will get hot! I crack the lid while preheating and it pegs the dome thermo. Grate is clean!!

After I give them a quick sear, slide the lid on and like Hoosier said, it'll run high heat 450ish for about 30-40 min and be perfect.

This one I did yesterday, I tried rotating the lid a couple times over about 45 minutes. It was discussed in another thread. I figured I'd try it. Not sure if it made a big difference, but the wings were very consistent. Ever try that?

Btw, I can't believe I didn't ask or mention. Are you cooking on a plum ssp? Like to see a pic of that sweet grill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:25:16 AM by Travis »

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 05:42:52 AM »
@Travis yes to all!  I'm of the mindset that the heat draws in the direction of the vent.. when I use the lid I turn it.

The Plum SS was my first kettle score.  I've certainly loved on it in the few years I've had it.  Definitely due for another cleaning.

I found a red fade SS about 18 months ago.  I'm convinced it had never been cooked on.  I can't bring myself to do it!

I'll look for a couple pics.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 05:48:04 AM »
Red Fade

Plum! This was right after I cleaned it.  I feel like a bad keeper, I need to do a deep clean.  I've used it A LOT.

I told my wife I needed the red fade for the 5lb propane tank it came with [emoji23]

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 05:56:28 AM »
Yeah man, those are beautiful! I'm really into those plums right now.

You ought to put that red in the appreciation thread. I don't think I'd cook on that one either! Pristine!