Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: GFS Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes  (Read 3195 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
GFS Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm not going to get scientific and technical here. I've been wanting to try the GFS hardwood briquettes for a while now and just went and got a bag. I started kettle grilling with lump. Bought GFS lump which I found out is Royal Oak. Don't really like lump for a few reasons and switched to Stubbs. Love Stubbs. I consider it a premium fuel. The first thing I noticed is the bag says the GFS briquettes are 60% larger than normal briquettes. Also states that its food service quality. 20 pound bag was $8.99.

Stubbs retail = .71 per pound
GFS retail = .45 per pound

Stubbs on sale for me was .43 per pound

Size comparison

Weight

GFS 44.7 grams

Stubbs 27 grams

20 minutes to light a full chimney of GFS. Never timed the Stubbs.

More to come...

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
GFS Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
Had to slow down the grill to help with bath time for the kiddo and bedtime routine. Lid temp after dumping the coals was 450. Same as Stubbs. After an hour it was 350. When lighting it doesn't smell bad but nowhere near as good as Stubbs does. After burning a while in the kettle the smell reminds me of sulfur? The smell after fireworks. Not pleasant. Now I'm cooking in the dark.

Sorry for the terrible review. I may try this again. My initial take is this is somewhat misleading. It's obviously not a "natural" hardwood charcoal briquette and although the smell isn't pleasant to me it didn't make the steaks taste bad. This might be a good fuel for grilling but I'll never use it for smoking.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:17:03 PM by kettlebb »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: GFS Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
Interested in your thoughts on this. 8.99 puts it right up there with kbb doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Those GFS briquettes look like RO briqettes.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:21:58 AM »
I called GFS to confirm it is RO but I can't confirm if it's standard RO or chefs select. I've never used kbb to be honest so I have nothing to compare to other than Stubbs and lump.

@HoosierKettle I'd look into shipping the remaining supply if you want to try it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass for now. I've tried royal oak before and prefer kbb for taste. However I wouldn't hesitate to use royal oak if that's what I had on hand.

Also I'm guessing shipping would be as much or more than if I bought some from gfs assuming mine has it. Haven't been in there for awhile nor was I aware they had charcoal.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Do you have a menards?  Cheapest per pound I have found is royal oak for $5.99 for a 18# bag

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »
Not close. Just for the hell of it I should probably give kbb the old college try sometime.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
I recently used royal oak briquettes for the first time.  I really liked them.  I'm a KBB guy, but I found Royal Oak burned longer, hotter, and had less ash.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!