Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Starter Cubes  (Read 6412 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Weber Starter Cubes
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:54 PM »
I started using these things again this year. I normally make my own, but I ran out and haven't made more yet. I think it's because I committed to making a video tutorial for it.

I don't remember the starter cubes being so messy. Popping them out of the tray sends little chunks of white shit everywhere. I don't want my dogs eating that crap. The foil from previously opened slots peel off sporadically and litter the yard. They don't even burn completely up anymore. They leave behind some funky little spongy ash ball.

They're a hell of a lot better than paper towels or newspaper, but I definitely need to make some starters soon.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Starter Cubes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:53:51 AM »
So open them over a damn trash can. Jeez...pube cubes...not gonna do it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 01:40:04 AM »
...pube cubes...not gonna do it.

Takes a while to grow back, eh @Troy ? If the tutorial shows the harvest, we're gonna have to start rating posts!
Retired

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »
I love the weber starter cubes. The little chunks of white shit typically don't fall out of the package and if they do, they fall into a trash can along with the foil. The little spongy ash ball that sometimes gets left behind just disappears after charcoal gets poured on it. No problems here.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:00:34 AM »
...pube cubes...not gonna do it.

Takes a while to grow back, eh @Troy ? If the tutorial shows the harvest, we're gonna have to start rating posts!

What a thing to wakeup and read! Will tell the guys at work about this one...
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:37:45 AM »
I just open them right over the charcoal grate and let everything burn :-)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:42 AM »
I just started using them for the first time a month ago. Noticed the brittle pieces breaking off and landing on the performer table. Does Troy really make them or is that just a WKC joke? They still burn and start coals so no major complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:16 AM »
I just started using them for the first time a month ago. Noticed the brittle pieces breaking off and landing on the performer table. Does Troy really make them or is that just a WKC joke? They still burn and start coals so no major complaints.

@kettlebb  Yes you can make them with some type of wax and dryer lint.  If I find the post I'll Post it it for you.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
I'm not a fan of all that crud flying all over the patio either. I open em up over a full chimney. I figure it will help light it faster by a few milliseconds
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
Retired

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 08:45:55 AM »
Use saw dust instead of dryer lint. I don't use them to start my kettle, but I do use them to start my fire pit. Pube cubes? Gross!!!!Imagine if you feel something in the back of your throat.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:31 AM »
Didn't realized the whole process. I think I'll stick to buying the cubes. I only use them after my coals are going in the gas assist.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »
Pube cubes? Gross!!!!Imagine if you feel something in the back of your throat.

The trick is to burn it and start your charcoal.... Not eat it.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 09:28:31 AM »
I think I'll stick to buying the cubes.

+1 - especially when Wallyworld has them on clearance for $2 like they did recently. 8.3 cents a piece, and I only use one for a full chimney. BTW - an ash pan from an old SJ makes the perfect cube-starter stand - a big chimney fits perfectly over it, and the compact chimney sits perfectly on it.
Retired

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
I haven't used the Weber cubes, but my dad gave me a part box of the ZIP brand cubes when he downsized into a condo.  I found them way overkill for a chimney full of charcoal.  Great for campfires though!

2 sheets of newspaper each spritzed with veggie oil then crumpled into a ball has never failed me.  Sometimes I skip the chimney and just put the paper ball under the charcoal grate and light it through the bottom vent.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown