Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying my hand at Brazilian style bbq or Picanha  (Read 1552 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Trying my hand at Brazilian style bbq or Picanha
« on: September 12, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
So what started this was the commercial for the new Lays(?) potato chips... Wondered what Picanha Style was, googled it and was hooked. Had to try it! So I cut some tri tip, put it on the spit rod, although the style they use is better because there are no forks in the way of slicing, which is why I turned mine backwards. Salted it, got the fire going and let her rip... in the meantime I had potatoes in a gasser. Well it was all going good, BUT, I was getting hungry, as was the girlfriend and eneded up just pulling the whole rod, removing the chunks and slicing on the plate. I can wait to get me a proper rotisserie to do this again.. It was amazing!! Now in the market for a Carson Rodizio, or try to build my own...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157673799119385/with/28999998783/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trying my hand at Brazilian style bbq or Picanha
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 04:28:36 AM »
Looks like a fun cook, and delicious! So, they slice the meat directly from the spit, which is why you're looking for a forkless attachment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »
Yes. When my wife went to Brazil she said they carve right off the spit and keep carving till you flip your card on the table to the red side up. Then the meat goes back on the cooker to sear the next layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »

Yup - Fogo Brasil

I think you've got a great start!

Maybe just get a block of wood that becomes a stand for the skewer and doubles as a cutting board.

Unless your girlfriend enjoys you standing table-side slicing the tri-tip for her    ;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
@Travis , yes, they shave the sides, re-salt and back to the grill. @dazzo , it was the spit forks being in the way that got me tweaked, plus I was hungry, LOL. @Shaun , I was awesome, give it a shot! Can't wait to do it again! Thanks to doing a search here, at the WKC site, I was able to find a link to the spit rods I want.. I'm still going to try and pull off the rodizio purchase though..i was trying to get my facebook friends to donate..LOL   https://www.facebook.com/darin.mcmaster.14/posts/968912839921070
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
Wow, that looks great Varekai!  I've been wanting to do  that here but I'm having a heck of a time finding either tri tip or sirloin cap.  Will just have to keep looking.    Do you have a link to the spit rods that you mentioned ?