Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First brisket  (Read 1630 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
First brisket
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
I finally did a brisket.  Picked up a prime brisket from Costco ($2.95 per lb...13+lbs, came out to $40).  I trimmed and seasoned it starting at 11pm Saturday night.  Got it on the Wood Dale 26er right before midnight.  I set up a snake with pecan and hickory chunks.  Once I saw it was at 250 degrees, I went to bed.  Woke up at 6 to check on it...what was the temp?  250!  I love smoking on the 26er.  At 7:30 I wrapped the brisket and renewed the snake.  Pulled it just after noon.  Sorry for no pics when she came off the grill, but it was wrapped in butcher paper...Took it in, rested it on the counter for an hour, then into a cooler with a towel for two more hours.  When sliced...magical.  I'd never done a brisket, but based on this experience, I will be doing another.  I've never had it in Texas, but I've never really had a restaurant brisket I've enjoyed.  This was tender, juicy, and the fat!  SO GOOD.

6am:

Delicious, bendable brisket!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: First brisket
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
Congrats on your first brisket. What did you season it with?
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »
Looks great. Nice smoke ring on that beauty!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
I rubbed it with 1/4 cup salt 1/4 cup pepper, and 1/8 cup garlic powder.  Didn't quite use all of it...I used the rest of the rub on that little hunk of meat you see at the top of the first pic.  I forgot to mention, I put that on at noon after I took off the brisket, let it smoke until 4pm...rested a half hour, cut in chunks, seasoned again, and put on some bbq sauce...then I put it back on the grill which was then running 350 for some baked potatoes.  One hour later...burnt ends.  No pics as they went QUICK.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
Looks absolutely perfect J! I was totally amazed how a 26" kettle with a snake method performed with this long of a cook. Congrats! So, which is your favorite part? Point or flat? Mine was the point. Fatty goodness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
@Shoestringshop the smoke ring was a bit small, but I'll tell you, it had a great smoky flavor/smell.  I like the pecan/hickory combo.  I think hickory on its own is a bit too powerful, but if you mix it with pecan it seems to be a sweet spot for me and more importantly, my wife.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:07 PM »
@Travis, I also am a point man all the way!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
Looks awesome bro! Travis, I prefer the flat. Sliced thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WNC

• WKC Performer
First brisket
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
Damn Jason that looks amazing!
Old 26ers make the best smoking machines.
I always cut off the point and make it all burnt ends, absolutely the best part.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
Man, that looks super tasty, excellent cook there Jason!

[/URL]

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
That's a nice looking piece of meat. Prime brisket is NOT $2.95/lb in NorCal and I am one jealous dude!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
@WNC I also made burnt ends...I agree, it was kind of my favorite part.  Next time, I think I will cut off more point and make a larger batch...We had our burnt ends as pre-dinner appetizers while the lovely wife made coleslaw.