Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First low and slow on performer  (Read 1024 times)

smithjas

• Happy Cooker
First low and slow on performer
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »
Labor day smoke on Performer! I finally got the nerve up to try this (and Whole foods had ribs on sale for labor day). So I have had my performer for about 6 months now and done burgers and what not. I was ready to do my first low and slow on Labor day weekend. I was going to start the grill at 10am, but other stuff got in the way and wound up starting at 2pm and getting the temp right by 3pm or so. (not good!) I wound up finishing under flashlight.

So I chose baby back ribs for first low and slow. They were ready to eat about 10 pm. But so what, they were awesome! (Hint: Don't start grill for 7 hour smoke at 2pm.) Live and learn!

I used a Steven Raichlen recipe. Thanks Steven!
I got a smoke ring on the first try, didn't expect that. They were almost too pretty to eat.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:24:11 AM by smithjas »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First low and slow on performer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »
Great job! I still need to do my first rack of ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »
Looks great @smithjas!!!!  Ribs are so damn good and kind of hard to mess up....usually "mess ups" are just cooking them a little too long  and they fall apart when slicing but is still amazing.  What method did you use for your coal?  Snake?  Minion?  Baskets?  Looks like you nailed it!

@kettlebb  -  You need to get on it!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
I will soon Mike. The wife wants me to try homemade pizza this week. Spent some time searching here. I'm going to use the Bobby Flay dough and give it a shot. Maybe do some ribs this weekend. I'll post pics of both

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

smithjas

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed -  I got some firebricks and had the charcoal on one side and had a drip pan with water underneath. I chose ribs for my first smoke because people said it was hard to mess up. My mistake was starting too late. I pulled them at about 10pm because I was so hungry. They could have gone another 30 minutes to an hour, but they were good none the less.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed -  I got some firebricks and had the charcoal on one side and had a drip pan with water underneath. I chose ribs for my first smoke because people said it was hard to mess up. My mistake was starting too late. I pulled them at about 10pm because I was so hungry. They could have gone another 30 minutes to an hour, but they were good none the less.

I've gotten too many cooks started too late myself so I hear you on that!  That is the nice thing about ribs though....the way I do them they always take about 4.5 hours give or take 10-15 minutes if I get distracted. I do 2-2.5 unwrapped, 1.5-2 wrapped (depending on how long the unwrapped phase was) with a tablespoon or so of beer, then 30 minutes unwrapped and sauced. I usually open the vents a bit for the last part so the heat goes up and sets the sauce better.  I've never had them come out bad this way.  When I've done them unwrapped, they are just as good but the timing can vary where sometimes they take 6-7 hours vs 4.5 with my wrap method.  Now you need to rig up a second grate so you can throw some Turds on during the cook for a mid-cook snack!!!!  Bacon drippings on the ribs from the turds is delicious!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!