Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti newness guy  (Read 2722 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Roti newness guy
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »
I got a roti ring from my man Bob (thanks by the way!).  I found a brinkmanship universal kit on clearance at Home Depot last fall for $13.  A slight modification to the mounting bracket and things are looking awesome...aside from the lack of counter-weight.  I honest never even knew that a roteserie may need one.

Any fun on the fly DIY counter-weight ideas out there? I'm cooking a small chicken right now and probably going to kill the motor.  It's spinning but sorely off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Roti newness guy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:32:23 AM »
Sweet score!
I love the rotisserie
As far as counterweights go, I've sort of given up on them unless I'm doing something really off balanced, chickens seem to do fine with out them.

I bought an extra motor setup awhile ago when lowes dropped the price, just in case my motor gives out, but really for the extra set of forks, I think it came with a counter weight. It's yours if you want it, just pm me!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:47:35 AM »
@WNC Awesome and thanks! 

The chicken turned out great even though I had some problems keeping it spinning and the forks kept sliding.  I couldn't get the set screws tight enough on the spit.  So they would slip and rod spin without rotating the bird.  I tied the legs and wings in as close I could and farted around trying to balance it, but things loosened up as it struggled to spin.  I think a counter weight would've helped keep it together and prevent the motor from bouncing to flip the bird.

Technical issues aside, the chicken is really tasty.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »
@blksabbath
Alright, that sounds more like a problem of the thumbscrews not being long enough to tighten down the forks on the spit rod, I'm not sure a counter weight would have fixed that problem.

The forks should lock in tight, I'd go grab a new set of thumbscrews. Take the forks with you and maybe the spit too. I can't imagine there is a substitute for this other than the proper length screws. That'll keep everything spinning. Then you'll see about the balance.

You're still welcome to the weight, keep an eye at lowes for the whole set, because once you get the hang of it you're gonna want to do two birds at once and having the second set of forks really makes a difference for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:35 AM »
@blksabbath
Alright, that sounds more like a problem of the thumbscrews not being long enough to tighten down the forks on the spit rod, I'm not sure a counter weight would have fixed that problem.

I am not sure the length of the thumbscrews would be a problem. There's still plenty of thread visible on the thumbscrews in the picture so they could be tightened down a long way before running out (unless the picture was taken before tightening and the thumbscrews did subsequently run out of thread).

I agree, there is definitely something about rotisserie chicken.  Is that a fryer chicken or a small roaster?  Did you put any rub or sauce on it, or just let it cook in its own drippings?  I've been experimenting whenever I do them so I'm always looking to see what other people have done and try out different things.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
@lightning
It was a roaster.  I brined it overnight in water, salt, brown sugar, and Schlafly Octoberfest.  I didn't do a rub or anything before it went one.  Temp was about 450...so kind of hot.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
Just cook two chickens and face them in opposite directions!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
That's the best answer!  The face card solution...Thank you![emoji851][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
@blksabbath I noticed your shaft is round. A couple flat spots for the screws to hook up would help.
Another tip, is to put an onion in the cavity, fills the gap, to keep if from flopping.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
You could also tie one fork to another once you have the meat on with some butchers string to make sure they stay together.  I usually have to use some anyway to keep the legs and wings from flopping around too much. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
@glrasmussen The shaft isn't completely doing ang does have a flat spot for the thumb screws to set.  The shaft is 3 pieces threaded together, the flat spot varies.