Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 22" w/Grey Plastic Handle-HOT!  (Read 2972 times)

SlushDeezey

• Happy Cooker
Weber 22" w/Grey Plastic Handle-HOT!
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
I have a Weber 22" kettle and ever since I've had it I have had an issue with the grey handle on the lid getting screaming hot during a cook. Is there a solution for this? Seems to me that you wouldn't make the lid handle out of whatever material it is made of that conducts heat so well.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber 22" w/Grey Plastic Handle-HOT!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
Welcome to the club, Its ALOT better than the old metal handles   :o  You could get a handle from Zavod44, he makes custom wood handles and is a member here. But if your running it HOT aint nothin gonna stay cool.   
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
I have a Weber 22" kettle and ever since I've had it I have had an issue with the grey handle on the lid getting screaming hot during a cook. Is there a solution for this? Seems to me that you wouldn't make the lid handle out of whatever material it is made of that conducts heat so well.

Best solution is to replace the stock handle with a wood one.  Top left corner of the WKC Forum home page has a link for ordering wood handles. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-handles/

Or enter the contest and win a Zavod44 handle:           

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/contest-countdown-to-5k-for-wkc-membership/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:01:21 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:33 AM »
My plastic handle gets hot, too.  That's why I have these handy. 

SlushDeezey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Seems to me that since they want such a premium price for their grills they would have a good phenolic handle on the lids that keeps cool. Will try a wooden one.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:29:48 AM »
I bought these after I realized the handle is hot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MRQAJG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472470086&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=welding+gloves&dpPl=1&dpID=51J0dStK0rL&ref=plSrch

They really help with taking off the lid, removing hot grates if needed, adjusting and moving coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »
The simplest solution is usually the best one - You'll never go wrong with a good set of gloves.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

SlushDeezey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »
They need a solution to the problem. I've had other grills in the past and they didn't do that.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
The solution is the new style taco handle. Looks repulsive.
Still need a 22” yellow

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »
The solution is the new style taco handle. Looks repulsive.

They need a solution to the problem. I've had other grills in the past and they didn't do that.

Gloves are great, but the best solution, as mentioned earlier are wooden handles.  I've bought several from Zavod44, I can 100% vouch for his great prices and superior craftsmanship.