Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tip Top Question  (Read 2155 times)

clb239

• Smokey Joe
Tip Top Question
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
I just received a tip top temp.

I have a question about setting the temp...

It seems the knob for setting the temp turns independent of the damper...if I turn the knob all of the way to left and close the damper the knob will keep turning about a quarter of a turn... The same happens when opening the damper the other way...

My question is, how do you know when the damper / temp control knob is set in the correct spot.

Maybe I am not understanding something in the directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Tip Top Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »
I had the same thing when I got it.  I found I had to turn it the other way until it clicked and kind of reset.  The damper should be open until it gets hot and hits a temp high enough to shut it based on how you have the knob set.  I've only used mine once and it worked great.  When you put it on your grill it isn't going to suck down to it or anything, it just rests there.  Also, it is going to cause your vent to get a bit dirty so just wanted to give you a heads up on that.  Hope this helps.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »
If turning the knob does not directly move the damper, you have something wrong with the product.
There is a set screw in the knob that locks the knob to the shaft.
If you have a tiny jeweler's screw driver, this set screw may just need tightening.

clb239

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
If turning the knob does not directly move the damper, you have something wrong with the product.
If you have a tiny jeweler's screw driver, this set screw may just need tightening.

That helps.  When setting the knob should zero be in line with the damper so that when the damper is closed the zero is to the left?

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »

That helps.  When setting the knob should zero be in line with the damper so that when the damper is closed the zero is to the left?

On mine, the "1" setting is inline with the damper edge.

Also, if you were to remove the knob, you should see a "flat" ground into the shaft for the set screw to nest into.
That is typical for a set screw/shaft interface, although I've haven't had this one apart to verify.

clb239

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
I've adjusted the set screw. With the damper closed the dial is at a nine. Based on the temp chart if I run to run it around three should i set it to around 2 to adjust since it doesn't set at zero.

Or am I making this overly complicated.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:46:33 PM »
I've adjusted the set screw. With the damper closed the dial is at a nine. Based on the temp chart if I run to run it around three should i set it to around 2 to adjust since it doesn't set at zero.

Or am I making this overly complicated.

Mine is just about at zero with the damper closed.
I didn't get too scientific with the chart....set it at 3 or 4 on its maiden voyage and did some small adjustments on the fly.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
Seems to me the chart is useless.  Get it adjusted, get your temp dialed in and let it do it's thing.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
The guys have you going in the right direction. Mike is right about the gunk on the vent. I use mine on a WSM and have a big ring of smoke gunk around and on the vent. Once you go live, it's pretty easy to figure out.
Still need a 22” yellow

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
Once you go live, it's pretty easy to figure out.
...go live...

That's talkin' the talk.
I like that.