Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1501 times)

intelonthegrnd

• Happy Cooker
Help!
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
Hi folks,

OK, so last Sat night I had some guests over for an informal bbq in the patio...

I go out to ignite my twin element gas Web (model # numerals worn off decal /illegible- grilling area measures 15'' x 23'' fwiw) and the unit as usual fires up on the first snap of the on board ignition system. Then, immediately after igniting the unit, I noticed something wasn't quite right as the gas element positioned nearest the backside of grilling area had the usual blue flame, but the element positioned toward the front of the grilling area was burning a yellow-orange color.

If I hadn't have had guests coming over, I would have shut down operations and investigated, however, I carried on with the hopes that the issue would hopefully rectify itself during preheat.
So I walk back into the house for about three minutes only to return finding my main fuel start up/ control knob in flames and an even more vigorous yellow orange flame emitting along the full length of the front element.

I shut the gas off at the tank and ordered take out.

What happened?  I have a sneaking suspicion that a sac spider found her way into the chamber of the flame element nearest fuel/air mixture adjustment door... does this sound like a probability?

I'll report back later after I pull out the element. If I'm right about the spider, I doubt there's any evidence remaining... poor girl. :)

In the mean time, any ideas or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

iotg-out for now

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:53:24 AM by intelonthegrnd »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to the WKC.

Your suspicion sounds about right but we'll never know. Dirt could also have been clogging the tube or nozzles and helping fuel travel backwards. Vapor near the spider screen ignited and took out the knob I suppose.

You'd want to also test to make sure you don't simply have a leak somewhere near that valve or the manifold.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »
Don't know what happened, but I would be on the phone with Weber.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
Not sure if intel is still around here on this site but for future readers, I have had this happen on my camp chef stove. What happens that i have noticed is a gust of wind will cause the flame at the burners to go out and its as if the flame travels back down the tube, the flame is now at the valve where it enters the tube and mixes with the air.... remedy, turn valve off and the restart, and hope for no more wind gusts.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.