Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first heart transplant.  (Read 1596 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
My first heart transplant.
« on: August 04, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
I had grabbed and fixed up quite a few gassers this year. Some fixed up for friends and family some for profit.

There's bee a fair amount of parts swapping, donation, and outright cannibalization to put some nice grills together.

My mom is in need of a gas grill so back on the hunt I went. Since I'm not charging, I was trying to keep the budget down.

Found this locally and negotiated Down to $20:

The good: SS grates, right side flip up table.
The Bad:  bottom shelf missing, rusted frame left cross member.

This wouldn't be the solution for anyone let alone a family member. I kept looking.

A week later I stumbled upon this:

The good: overall decent shape.
The bad: natural gas. Mom doesn't have gas service. Locally many people don't, and even fewer have gas grill hookups.

After a frank discussion with the seller and frank discussion of supply and demand the seller conceded and let this one for $20.

For the $40 I now had what i need:

I pulled off both set of control knobs, loosened two Bolts on each and did a direct manifold swap: gas for propane. I also moved the tank scale from the donor to the new recipient.

So to recap: 40 bucks, 4 bolts, Within 4 minutes I had a propane burning fire breathing monster going 400 degrees and climbing. Starter fired first click!

All of the good noted above, none of the bad.

The donor grill still has some nice parts: newer style lid, good side tables. These could give another future grill a nice face lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first heart transplant.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
That's pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
Looks like a nice pickup. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
Great find! !!