Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Explain to me Vortex wings  (Read 3864 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Explain to me Vortex wings
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 05:05:48 AM »
Do you know if a coffee can is safe at those temps? I'd be concerned it would leach out nasties.

A more pertinent question would be do you know that it's not?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Explain to me Vortex wings
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
Made some wings again last night, again using the baskets. A little higher temp and a lot longer cook and the skins were extra crispy. The wings were not as juicy, though, with IT over 200 degrees.

Need to find a good compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:57:33 AM by haeffb »

shadowjig

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:02:30 AM »
It think the theory is that the high heat is concentrated and the dome reflects the heat to bake the wings.  With chicken I'm always looking for very high heat.  When using the Vortex it gets hot 450-550*.  The vortex is hanfy because it deflects that direct heat from hitting the wings around the edge and bakes them with the convection heat.  I would think you'd be able to get the same result without it.   But I always use it for chicken (wings, drums/thighs).  I did a cook for the in laws with chicken drums,  potatoes, and parchment wrapped scallops all on the gril with the Vortex and it came out great.   Without it,  it would have been difficult to manage everything on the grill.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
I grabbed a stainless steel wine chiller or flower pot or something at a thrift store for a buck and cut the bottom off it. I think it's about the size of a small vortex, but it works great on my 22.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 04:25:18 AM »
@effinUker

Any tips for cutting SS cleanly?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »
@effinUker

Any tips for cutting SS cleanly?

I used a hacksaw. Filed the edges smooth(ish)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
It think the theory is that the high heat is concentrated and the dome reflects the heat to bake the wings.  With chicken I'm always looking for very high heat.  When using the Vortex it gets hot 450-550*.  The vortex is hanfy because it deflects that direct heat from hitting the wings around the edge and bakes them with the convection heat.  I would think you'd be able to get the same result without it.   But I always use it for chicken (wings, drums/thighs).  I did a cook for the in laws with chicken drums,  potatoes, and parchment wrapped scallops all on the gril with the Vortex and it came out great.   Without it,  it would have been difficult to manage everything on the grill.

I think that there's also some infrared action coming up from the bottom as the cone gets super hot and radiates that heat out as well.

Do you NEED one to cook good wings, of course not!  But, with the cost less than a half-gallon of my favorite scotch, it's a nice, addition to your Weber arsenal.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

shadowjig

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »

I think that there's also some infrared action coming up from the bottom as the cone gets super hot and radiates that heat out as well.

Do you NEED one to cook good wings, of course not!  But, with the cost less than a half-gallon of my favorite scotch, it's a nice, addition to your Weber arsenal.

BD
It doesnt guarantee crispy skin.  You don't NEED it.   I just fell like it's easier to get the grill extremely hot due to the inverse funnel and it contains the charcoal.  I'm still trying to chase the best crispy skin.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
Also great for more than wings. You can also turn out some great salmon placed around that vortex.  Same with pork tendeloin, thick cut pork chops and steaks or anything else you'd like to reverse sear.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »
I have a mini for my Jumbo Joe!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
I have a mini for my Jumbo Joe!
I just ordered a mini for my Jumbo Joe

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
Makes one hell of a seared tuna steak if you like your Tuna seared good on the outside and raw on the inside! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
I have the medium vortex but I got it mainly for stir fry, really puts the heat to the bottom of the wok, works great
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:33 AM »
I have the medium vortex but I got it mainly for stir fry, really puts the heat to the bottom of the wok, works great

Which wok are you using?

This one?  Which by the way is on sale for $14.95 plus $10 shipping on Amazon right now.

I thought I've tried to see if this wok would work with the medium vortex and the vortex was a little too tall, but I'm not 100% sure I have actually tried it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  I use a 16"powwok I got from the wok shop, sure works great
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer