Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Saturday = pulled pork  (Read 1058 times)

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
Saturday = pulled pork
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
Decided to work on my pulled pork method today. Rubbed it down last night, wrapped and refrigerated. It hit the grates at 545 this morning.

22 inch SSP, snake method 2x2x1 with apple wood chunks. Tip Top Temp for temp control. (side note: the snake method and the tip top temp are two separate methods for temperature control, this was a test of the legitimacy of combining the two, and the results.) target temp range: 225-240.

I reached 140 in a little over 3 hours. 2 hours later it hit 160...and the stall....

I decided before the cook that I would cook through the stall. I never expected a 6 HOUR STALL!!

Never the less, I held out.

Once the stall broke, it took about 1.5 hours to reach 190. At that point I added a couple more pieces of wood, quickly brought the temp to 325, and let the grill come down slowly to 275.

I reached an IT off 198 at 745pm.

Lessons learned:
Sometimes it just takes 14 hours to smoke a butt.
The snake and Tip Top Temp are a match made in heaven. Temperature stayed between 227 and 233 for ten straight hours.  With temp control like that, I'll be able to start them the night before and sleep through the stall.
With the combo of the snake and Tip Top Temp I can get over 14 hours from a 22 inch.
Cooking through the stall gave me the best pulled pork to date. The bark was like moist jerky and the inside was like velvet.

This is now my method for pulled pork.

Cheers, TheBigDawgFL

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Saturday = pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
Looks delicious! I still have yet to do a pork butt but really need to. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

bigdaddyII

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:40:51 AM »
Looks delicious. I have one in progress right now. Hoping it comes out looking and tasting as good as yours.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
I second that thought about the snake and tip top combo. I too smoked a butt yesterday. Using the same snake configuration but with Oak blocks and a brand new Tip Top temp set on 4. My temperature held at 245 to 259 for 10 hours. Checked the temp every half hour and was amazed how well it worked.

addicted to charcoal

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »
Looks awesome!

I've stopped wrapping and cooking through the stall too.
It takes a lot longer, but I love the bark, and I think the fat renders better too.

And yep, I always plan on around 13-15 hours...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
Hey, that looks great! Those were some STEADY temps! Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app