Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Crazing?  (Read 3764 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Crazing?
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread just on this. Being a rookie still at this hobby, I'm curious what is the cause?
With some color in the stable now I have assessed, and have found crazing just on two fruit colors(Lime and Yellow). Most of the stable is Pre-79. With Reds, couple brownies, Dark Green, faded black, ect...None of these show signs of crazing. I'm wondering if has to do with pigmentation of these colors or age of kettle? I'm just curious, hoping it doesn't happen to others in the stable...

Greg

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Re: Crazing?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
My green MT has crazing
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Crazing?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
Your talking the squiggly black lines that show through the porcelain?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
Your talking the squiggly black lines that show through the porcelain?

Yes, similar to a cracked windshield, best I can describe it. I believe they all show some black. If I remember correctly, I think all kettles start Black, then receive the color.

Bob, I hope that doesn't mean my MT will end up with it. It is a 95, with little usage by prior owner.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
It never bothers me, it just shows it has some age to it. It normally shows much more on the citrus colors.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:27 PM »
Doesn't that come from having your coals banked right up so they are laying on the side wall of the kettle? Seems like I read that somewhere else. I just bought a used black performer that has razed pretty badly. I noticed the lid rollers were melted right in that same area. I'm going to make sure I always use my charcoal baskets just to keep a bit of separation between the coals and sidewall, especially on my green C & B Performer.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
Yeah, my '78 brown has this, mainly on the bottom near the leg sockets. I think it's a combination of age and possibly from banking the coals in the same spot over the years? I try to rotate where I bank them. It might not make a difference in the long run, but It's what I've been doing. It doesn't hurt anything and it's usually only visable up close.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:50:50 AM »
I've been paranoid about the whole crazing effect so I knocked up this charcoal basket to try and stop any crazy crazing

It gives about an inch of clearance from the bowl and holds more than 2 baskets worth of fuel
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:37:01 AM »
I've been paranoid about the whole crazing effect so I knocked up this charcoal basket to try and stop any crazy crazing

It gives about an inch of clearance from the bowl and holds more than 2 baskets worth of fuel

This would be a ticket, should be able to make 3 or 4 out of an old bowl. This would fit the contour better too.
If I think back to the day, old school, they just loaded these up with coals and high amount of Kingsford or Wizard fuel.
Now for colors involved so far 4. So real know pattern. I know the lime and lemon are real apparent. When spring arrives
and I can clean them up, I'll post some pic's. Frigg'n March and we can't even hit 30 degrees yet and snow still to your knees...

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:52:54 AM »
I have a red that has this.
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »
Should have Googled earlier. But a little slow at work and found out some information. I would have to say it is the heat, from some of the reads I looked at. Expansion rates of the Kettle and Porcelain applied are probably the cause. Two totally different molecular make ups. Thus the two have different rates of expansion and contraction. So cooking in extreme cold, bringing high heat in the kettle, fast cool down= possibility of crazing...

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
Yes , very high heat from banked coals will cause crazing.
I am only bringing this  thread back from the dead because it is a recurring question and to post some photos of how bad it can get.

This is what my 2010 brick red bowl looked like in 2012.  Weber replaced it free of charge under warranty. I now use my baskets all the time.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold