Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Independence weekend cook...  (Read 924 times)

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
Independence weekend cook...
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
So a friend and I set this weekend aside for a good cook. He and I were both off Friday and Monday which allowed us to go a little over board.

We cleared the butcher with an 8lb pork shoulder, 2 full slabs of spare ribs, 2lbs of fresh pork sausage and a 6lb brisket flat.

All meats were rubbed the night before and wrapped. Sausages would get smoke only.

3am alarm sounds.

Grill setup included, my 22 inch SSP, my friend's 22 inch kettle, and an old Brinkman bullet smoker that has had many years an mods (most of which keep it barely operational).

The SSP would be handling the brisket and later the sausages. Briquettes and cherry wood chunks banked to one side with fire bricks creating an indirect heat barrier. Bottom vent cracked open only a sliver, with the Maverick Tip Top Temp handling the temperature. (see my take on the performance of this contraption in the product review area)

The 22 inch kettle would handle the pork shoulder. Snake method used along with apple wood chunks.

The Brinkman Frankenstein got rib duty. Electric coil to provide heat and an A-Maze-N pellet smoking tray filled with pecan wood pellets.

This was my view at 5:30 Monday morning...

Roughly 11 hours of smoke time later...

Was a great day.

Cheers, TheBigDawgFL

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Independence weekend cook...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
Very nice!  I bet the pics above only tell a small fraction of the fun that was had.   :D 8) 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
That was a fun day for sure! Why do you have the ssp in that picture on blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 02:49:44 AM »
That was a fun day for sure! Why do you have the ssp in that picture on blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My driveway has A DEEP slope. I have to raise that end of the grill about 6 inches to get it level.

Cheers, TheBigDawg

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
You guys need some veggies in your life!!!!  Awesome looking food.  Nicely done!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!