Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Father's day Rotisserie  (Read 4283 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Father's day Rotisserie
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
My wife really surprised me with a Rotisserie Ring for the Kettle!!   Now I can't wait for the weekend to have time to spin something.  I think a chicken will be the first cook.   To all you rotisserie aficionado's:  Do you use the counter weight?  This is the first one I've owned/used.   It didn't come with a manual.  And I have no experience.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Father's day Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
Awesome gift. Yes, use the counter weight, although you can get along without it for chicken. Set the weight opposite the breast, adjust it in or out as needed to balance. You can get an idea of the balance just by holding the spit loosely in you hands. Put a full lit basket on each side, start spinning and start checking temps after about an hour. It will be good.

You don't have to wait for a weekend, though. Cook whatever for dinner, and start a chicken after that is done. Or fire two kettles. Just set a timer for an hour and a quarter or whatever to go check temps and take the chicken off. Then the chicken is ready for the next night's meal - chicken,  chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, chicken soup, chicken sandwiches, chicken and pasta...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:02:16 AM by Jon »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
@Jon is 100% with his statement. Chickens normally don't need the counter weight, but would hurt to get use to it. Normally it's for turkey or heavier cuts. Have a great time man. You're gonna love it! What a great gift!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
I use my counter weight as well. I put the meat on the spit and put it in place without the motor so it will spin freely and the heavy side will be down. Then attach the counter weight so the heavy side is straight up. From there you can give it a test spin and adjust the weight in and out as needed until you are close to balanced.

Good luck. Your going to love the new roti. I did a pork roast on mine for Father's Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:29:42 AM by Neil_VT00 »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
Thanks guys, I can't wait to use it.  Chicken Saturday and i haven't decided on a Prime Rib or a Porcetta (sp) on Sunday!
Will let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll remember to take pics!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »
I borrowed my buddies roto for Thanksgiving last year and my family said it was the best turkey we've ever had.  I'm buying the roto for my birthday this year.  You will love it.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
how big a turkey can be done on the rotisserie? 

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »
I ordered a roti yesterday, should have it by Friday. Too bad I won't be able to use it right away. Then again, Friday might be a possibility itself. The wife found a deal on chickens so we will be ready to go. I'm actually pretty excited about this. I need to get the kettle I plan on using ready for that! I have some prep work to do.

I think I have read that a 20lb turkey is possible, but that a 15lb one is more manageable. I don't trust everything I read though. I hope it can handle the 12-14lbs of birds I plan on doing.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
You'll love it!
It's really the only way to cook whole birds

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
Well, we have a small problem.  If you aren't aware, the roti comes un-assembled.  Last night I had some time to assemble and get ready for my first cook this weekend.  I thought it looked 'funny' but didn't think anything of it.  Got it all together, walk it outside to lay it on the Kettle and see how she looks.  I get outside and instantly realize the 'funniness'.  It's too small for me Kettle!   I have a 22" but an 18" was purchased.
Since it was a gift, my wife is working on the exchange process.  So looks like roasted chicken and ribs this weekend instead.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:35:18 AM »
Well, we have a small problem.  If you aren't aware, the roti comes un-assembled.  Last night I had some time to assemble and get ready for my first cook this weekend.  I thought it looked 'funny' but didn't think anything of it.  Got it all together, walk it outside to lay it on the Kettle and see how she looks.  I get outside and instantly realize the 'funniness'.  It's too small for me Kettle!   I have a 22" but an 18" was purchased.
Since it was a gift, my wife is working on the exchange process.  So looks like roasted chicken and ribs this weekend instead.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Wait, what? You don't have an 18" kettle hanging around? I can't feel my left arm.... :o

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 07:39:51 AM »
Problem solved!   I just bought an 18" black kettle on CL for $25!!  It's now a dedicated rotiserer!!
(I'm glad it's a slow day at work!)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
how big a turkey can be done on the rotisserie?

I believe you can go up to 20lbs but I did a 14lb bird on the roto and a 12lb bird in the oven.  The roto bird was the winner.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »
Problem solved!   I just bought an 18" black kettle on CL for $25!!  It's now a dedicated rotiserer!!
(I'm glad it's a slow day at work!)

That was a close one! Congrats on the new kettle/roti rig.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
Lol.  Thanks!