Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Platinum II Resto - need some help  (Read 5020 times)

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
Genesis Platinum II Resto - need some help
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:48:28 AM »
Hello Again,

I acquired a Platinum II that is basically in good Condition.
The front panel has some rust, but the burners and Flavorizer Bars are in good Condition.
It is the 3400 Model, so has a Sideburner and the Smoke and Steam box.

One of the little caster wheels falls off, but I think I can save that with some 2K Epoxy.

Grates, Ignition Chamber and Warming Rack/Basket have to be replaced, but I think I can still get those.

My main problem is the Firebox, the rear wall is bent outwards to a point where the grates fall into the grill.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

I already tried to push it back, but even sitting on it did not impress the metal at all.
I could use a car jack to try and push it back, does anyone have any experience with that?

Simply getting another firebox is not really an option, since these grills show up very seldom here in my area, and even then they are not sold cheap.

My current Idea is to mount 2 stainless Angle Irons (I hope that's the correct term for it), to provide more support for the grates. This means drilling a few holes into the firebox, but so far seems the safest option.

The plan is to respray the firebox on the outside, remove the rust from the front panel, respray that as well, and after a good clean put everything back together.
The Sideburner Table seems to be cast metal as well, the paint is already flaking from that. So that will be cleaned and painted as well. I'll see if my cheap sandblasting kit is any good, or I'll just use a rotary wire brush on the cordless Drill to remove the old paint.

For the Grates I'm thinking heavily about getting some custom made, since I don't think I can still get originals over here. With the Smoke and Steam Box, I might make this a 3-part Grate, allowing me to remove the box and add more space.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Genesis Platinum II Resto - need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
Reinforce the side that you don't want to bend back with 2x4's in the lengthwise direction. Now tie 1-2 ratchet straps around the girth of the firebox. Tighten said ratchet strap until the warpage is pulled in. You may also want to consider reinforcing it so it doesn't happen again in the future.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
I ran into that once.  Used bar clamps to get the box back into shape.  It was probably about 1/4 to 1/2 inch out to start.  When done, it was still bowed just a bit but would hold the grates.

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

So far I did not get a good result, it always moved just out again.

Since I did not want to ruin it, I tightened it just to the point where it was plain again.
That did not help, so I tightened it a bit more, and let it sit over Night:

You may also want to consider reinforcing it so it doesn't happen again in the future.

Any tip on how I would do that?

On a slighty better note, the caster wheel insert is fixed!
I cleaned the inside and the metal with brake cleaner, and fixed it to the table

Then mixed some 5min Epoxy and poured it in

Feels very massive, and should last the next few years

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:08:35 AM »
Tighten it some more.   

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Letting the metal sit preloaded overnight isn't going to do anything. You need to bend it beyond the point you want it to stay because there will always be spring back.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Letting the metal sit preloaded overnight isn't going to do anything. You need to bend it beyond the point you want it to stay because there will always be spring back.

Yep. 

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
Alternatively, clamp like you did but leave it for 35 years.
(At an elevated temperature)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »
Or possibly use the same thing that possibly  caused the warpage,,, heat! Between heat,  and pressure,  you should get the desired results. As for reinforcing,  once it's bent back where you want it you could always use a small piece of square channel/angle iron  ( same length of the grill)  and bolt in on the back either inside or outside the grill.  I did this on a dying charbroil a few years ago.
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
It's been very slow going, but finally a few things were finished:

- the cookbox is straight again (more force was applied  ;D)
- the cart was partially sanded and sprayed. I don't know how much of that will be visible. If it bothers me too much, I can always do a full respray next winter)
- some of the small braces had some rust, so I sanded them down and resprayed them.
- New SS Grates (GBS version from a Spirit 300), new warming basket and warming rack were bought.
- the frame of the side burner was sanded, primered and painted - that took the most time, since the old paint was really hard.

I still have to clean the firebox and the side panels of the lid, and decide if I want to respray them or leave them the way they are. How is the long-time experience when using high-temp paint from a rattlecan? Does it flake off after a few weeks?

But it is very nice to finally put things back together (even if I scratched my head a few times wondering where this or that part has to go..  ???)

Side Burner:

The cart with its shiny backside:

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Looking good!   I haven't had any problems with paint flaking off.   

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »
That burner is pretty sweet!

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 01:03:27 AM »
The Easter Weekend was coming up fast, and I had to get the grill done for the cooking.

So I skipped the painting of the firebox for now, and just assembled everything and made sure it is ready to cook!

On Easter Monday the family was over, we had some salmon from the salt plate, Steaks with butternut squash and a Roti Chicken with rice.

The Chicken was done on the Genesis A.

The porch is a bit crowded now, but as soon as the rain stops the performer and the WSM will go to the lower deck, and the Silver A will be given to a good friend of mine.

I really like how they made a tailored Cover for that Grill:

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 04:14:17 AM »
Wow, I have never seen that model before, very cool.  I also like the dedicated cover, and where can I get a Weber cover for a propane tank?!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
+1, would love a Weber propane tank cover!