Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time using Weber Kettle in earnest  (Read 1511 times)

Mosca

• Smokey Joe
First time using Weber Kettle in earnest
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
I did some burgers the other day just to get a feel for the unit, and because it is National Burger Month and hamburgers are my number one most favorite thing to make and eat. But today, today it get real.

Dry aged prime ribeye, 2" thick, about 1.25 lbs. I salted and peppered, and set up the kettle for reverse sear. Here is the steak about halfway through the slow:

The fast part, things were moving kind of quickly and I didn't get a snap. I'm not familiar with the kettle yet, so I overshot my target by a couple degrees, I wanted 130 but I hit about 135:

The sides are grilled corn with tarragon butter and Caprese tomatoes. I did the corn on the BGE. The presentation sucks, but I don't care. I did the whole cook  in the rain, and when it stopped we wanted to dine. The photography took a back seat.

Hitting that "magic wand" on the edit screen takes about 5* off the temp, but trust me, it was between medium rare and medium. Taste and texture were top notch though! Beverage was an IPA from Oskar Blues, a nice brew.

Thanks for looking, I'm happy to be here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:55:48 PM by Mosca »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First time using Weber Kettle in earnest
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
Hey bud. Just saw your post. Looks like your steak came out great.

That's how I do big steaks as well. I think the reverse sear is an superior method when grilling big steaks and roast. Cool part is once you hit your target temp you can rest it while getting the cooker searing hot, sear the meat and serve right off the grill, still piping hot, since you've already rested it!

Have a good one, Mosca, and great cook!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First time using Weber Kettle in earnest
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »
Looking good!!!!!   Not bad at all for a newbie.  And it looks like you have one of my favorite accessories...the Slow-n-Sear!

@Travis - You are dead on about reasting then searing once the grill is as hot as it can get.  Did some NY Strips last night that exact way and they were awesome!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »
Looks great for your first cook! I burnt everything the first time I used my performer way back when.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 05:03:13 AM »
Damn! Steak looks perfect!

I haven't gotten the hang of the reverse sear yet, but your steak wants me to figure it out

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
That's looking really good, Mosca.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791