Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying out irv39's low and slow porksteaks  (Read 908 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Trying out irv39's low and slow porksteaks
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »
Tonight I was trying out irv' low and slow method as oppose to my normal sear n slide method.

Tonight the one that started it all got the call, the DI ots, as well as our first rescue, the EI 18" for the sides.

The pork steaks were hand cut from my butcher, Ryan at My local meat market and they were cut right!

So, I set up the kettle for an indirect cook, with a couple chunks of apple for the smoke.

I was trying a new rub tonight which was pretty good and gave the pork a nice color.

Set up the kettle for a medium heat and it did fine, holding between 275-300, which was good saying this particular cooker has got bent up sweepers and it doesn't like to cook slowly. I bought new ones but haven't replaced them yet.

This was, by irv's estimate, around a 3 hr cook, so on the 18" we put on some fresh green beans with peppers, onions and a ham hock and slowly simmered it in chicken stock for the duration.

The ham hock takes a long time to break down so it worked great.

The last hour I slathered on the sauce. It is really thin so I did this about 3 times and it set up really nice.

Pulled off the steaks around 165. They turned out very nice and extremely tender! I will definitely be adding this cooking method to my arsenal! Even got a little smoke ring!
Thanks irv!

I wanted to get a plated picture for ya'll, but it was late and just me and my youngest tonight, who kept saying "I'm hungry daddy!" Damn girl! Don't you know I'm trying to get this down for the WKC!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:11:11 PM by Travis »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Trying out irv39's low and slow porksteaks
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
Looks very tasty.  I really like the ham hock idea for the veggies.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Trying out irv39's low and slow porksteaks
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
Good looking cook!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk