Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 large Pork Shoulders on new 26 inch Kettle  (Read 1739 times)

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
2 large Pork Shoulders on new 26 inch Kettle
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »
Hey guys,

Been grilling and smoking for quite some time, but just picked up the 26 inch Kettle today (wheels were missing, had to steal some from my performer, but parts on the way from weber).  I have 20lbs of pork shoulder, 2 10lb pieces - so the question is what's the best way to smoke these on the new Kettles that have the thermo and vents inline.   

I was thinking of running a snake (minion method) using a 3 coal width snake, about 3/4 around the kettle, with some wood chunks at the beginning, and leaving all vents open, and placing the 2 roasts right in the middle of the grill.  I'm hoping to keep as close to 250 as possible.  I'll be around for most of the cook, except in the early hours when I have to go to work for an hour or two.

What have you guys done before in a similar situation, any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is going to be pulled pork for Saturday - the wife's Birthday party we have a bunch of people coming.  I'm making a bunch of other stuff too but want to nail the pulled pork (with finishing sauce of course) but wanted to see if anyone had some tips with the 26, the amount of meat I got, and what the best setup would be.  Thanks so much in advance.

Martin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:56:26 PM by polishmartin »

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2 large Pork Shoulders on new 26 inch Kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:07:13 AM »
When smoking on my 26er, I have had great luck with the snake method.  It has been much easier to control for me than any of my 22" kettles.  My 26er just dials right in and holds for hours.  I always felt like I had to fiddle with the 22's alot.  I think your plan sounds pretty good.  I tend to set the meat off to one side of the cooking grate opposite the fire, and then rotate it as the snake burns.  I also rotate the lid so the vent is always opposite the burning charcoal as well. 

Are you foiling after a few hours or running them naked for the whole cook?  Just curious, as I tried something for the first time last week and it worked out awesome.  I was cooking 2 10lb pork shoulders for my daughters birthday party.  The party was at 3pm and I didn't feel like staying up till midnight the night before to get things going.  I decided to try a hot and fast cook with foiling, and nailed it on the first try.  I started things the morning of, and got the meat on about 8am.  I smoked them at 300-325 for about 3.5-4 hours, and then foiled them up.  I let them cook until the larger of the two hit 200 degrees internal and ended up yanking them about 2:45pm.  I let them rest in the foil (and wrapped in towels) until I shredded them about 3:30-3:45.  The juices were just pouring out of the meat while I was shredding it.  It was by far, the juiciest pulled pork I have ever made.  No sauce added, just BBQ sauce on the side for those that wanted it.  The bark was obviously not the thick crunchy texture that I really like, but the flavor and moisture of the meat was fantastic.  If it goes that easy every time, that might be my new favorite way to do pork shoulders.
-Keith

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
Yep, 3x2 snake works very well, plenty of room for both shoulders.  I usually don't foil or mess with it.  I will start the grill around 11-11:30 pm, meat on by midnight, set my Maverick to warn me if the temp drops below 200, and go to bed.  Depending on the weather, temps, etc, I might have to refuel the snake 8-9 hours in.  12-14 hours is about the time I average with 2 butts on my 26.

Slow N Sear works great for this, too, if you decide to add it later on.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »
I will second the comment above.  I recently did two 9lb butts on the 26er.  That was my exact experience.  Had to refill after 9 hours, done in about 12. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »
Exactly what Keith said here & maybe chop those 10# pieces in half to cook a bit faster (that's a thick chunk of meat)

20# of butt on 22 OTS SNS used on cook pictured (overnight)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/20-of-butt-w-sns/msg186836/#msg186836
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE