Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking malt for a brown ale  (Read 840 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Smoking malt for a brown ale
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:21:15 PM »

Fun stuff.  If any of you Stl guys are into beer/brewing let me know.  We're doing 30 gallons Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Re: Smoking malt for a brown ale
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Nice but I am betting that you wont get much penetration into that mass... Which is probably a good thing :P

Id do... Just as a random guess... Somewhere between 5-10% of your malt bill, but spread out thin on one of those spatter screens that are flat.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:49:29 AM »
It actually works out pretty good.  It's hard to tell from the angle, but it's not solid bowl. It's big stainless colander and was stirred every 30min or so for 2 hours.  It's about 6lbs of malt so I wouldn't have enough room to spread it out.  Last time I did it this way the smoke was awesome.  It was about 4lbs in a 17lb grain bill.

We're only doing part of the batch with some smoke so only a few lbs of this will be used tomorrow.  The rest will go in a smoked porter in a few weeks.

I need to get a roti with one of those mesh cages to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:43:49 AM »
When I retire in a few decades, using my Webers for roasting coffee and beer making will pretty much make my life complete.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch