Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking on a wooden deck.  (Read 5804 times)

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
Cooking on a wooden deck.
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
I was wondering on how many people cook on a wood deck.  I have two options in my back yard.  A wooden deck and the grass.  Im just wondering how may people cook on a wood deck or do people consider that too dangerous. 

I think in the summer I have no issue with cooking out on the grass but we still have winter and so i have the grill set up on my deck.  Im just a bit worried of coals falling to the deck. 

Any stories out there of coals catching the deck on fire? 

Cheers

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cooking on a wooden deck.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
I use to cook on my deck all the time.  I had two rules to ensure safety:  1) Only use grills with an enclosed ash catcher, and 2) Always have both a fire extinguisher and a water hose nearby.
I only violated rule #1 a few times when I wanted to cook on vintage kettles.  In those instances, ALWAYS make sure the fire is dead.
The bigger problem for me in cooking on a wood deck is that you occasionally spill grease or have splatter spots that stain the wood.  I had to replace a number of boards over time just to keep the deck looking decent.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
you might try an oil drip pan
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:11:40 PM »
I also cook on my deck.  The only time I had an issue was when I didn't realize that a small piece of charcoal was stuck in my chimney.  But I keep a pair of tongs that are dedicated to charcoal use right there and was able to pick the vagrant up before any damage.

I know that I've seen grill mats that may also be useful.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Cooking on a wooden deck.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
I made a crude brick patio out of some old bricks that used to be the front sidewalk (they were replaced with pavers). I want to expand this a bit and do it proper with pavers and correct base material. I am nervous about using the charcoal on the deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:52:57 PM by Bbqmiller »

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:27:03 PM »
I've grilled on my deck for years with grease stains and cold ash spills being the only issues. Nothing a power washing doesn't fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
 @RumBar Yeah that.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
@S!LVER   There is NO need to be concerned about grilling directly on your wood deck, as you can see by the attached image ... LoL.

I've since replaced these old dry cedar planks with new fresh ones and I've also purchased "under garments" for all of the non-OTG kettles that I use.   I've seen hot coal stick in chimney starters, I've seen hot coals roll down the ash hill under both daisy wheeler and OTS kettles, and I've seen a heat-deflector free WSM toast an older wooden deck.  I still keep my extinguisher at hand, but I feel better about walking away from a long cook with this new mind-set.                                SJ
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:16:50 PM by SmokenJoe »
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
There are a lot of options out there for wood stoves in the house.  Do a search for wood stove floor protection.  I have used them for wood stoves in the house and for one on a deck at a previous house. 

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
I grill on my deck occasionally,  I use one of these whether it's on deck or concrete

http://www.atbbq.com/heavy-duty-fire-resistant-grill-mat.html

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
I grill on my deck occasionally,  I use one of these whether it's on deck or concrete

http://www.atbbq.com/heavy-duty-fire-resistant-grill-mat.html

Looks nice. I have an Original Grill Mat for the Performer (40x32") http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Original-Grill-Pad-42-in-x-30-in-Rectangular-Granite-Gray-Deck-Protector-GP-42-C-GY/202448180 and the round one for under standalone kettles.

But what I really need is to get away from the deck. The chimney or something else will always drop a coal chunk that melts things.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
I have my performer on my wood deck, and it scares the hell out of me.   I'm super anal retentive about checking under the grill and shutting things down.  I'm also diligent about keeping the ash catcher pretty empty.  When it gets full, I have had a hot coal fall out when working the vanes back and forth.

A good friend of mine literally burned his house down about 10 years ago due to a stray hot coal.  He was using basic kettle with the ash disk, and guessed that the wind blew a hot coal on to the deck surface after he had shut all of the vents.  He was awoken in the middle of the night by one of his neighbors banging on his door yelling the house was on fire.  It lit the deck, went up the siding into the soffit, which lit the roof and trusses on fire.  Essentially the whole attic was on fire as the airflow in an attic is a perfect chimney through the ridge vent.  No smoke detectors had gone off.  Everyone got out safe and he has a nice new house but has sinces switched back to a gas grill.  Scary shit
-Keith

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 04:58:13 AM »
I have always cooked on my wooden deck (tray catcher), never had an issue.

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:55 AM »
Hot water heater drain pan. Plug the outlet and you can add 1/2" of water for added safety.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/24-in-ID-Aluminum-Drain-Pan-15282/204219990
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "