Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not sure what happened but these were the best chicken drums evah  (Read 1986 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
"Can we have chicken drums tonight? Oh, and let's cook more bacon, too."

Cooked 8 of them. They were incredible. A little spicy for the kids, who nevertheless enjoyed them. If I could get this balance of heat and flavor every time that would be ... great.

- about a cup, maybe less, of olive oil
- mixed in about a tablespoon each of McCormicks Grill Mates Chipotles & Roasted Garlic and Roasted Garlic and Herb

So maybe it was the roasted garlic?

- tossed in a bag for the fridge like 6 hrs

- for the last few minutes on the grill I added "Backyard BBQ Chef Gold Rush Mustard BBQ" sauce. Picked that up at a horse show in TN last year. No website, no FB page. No address, no nuthin', just some dude who said he might not make any more.

BBQ sauce Ingredients:
Mustard
Ketchup (no sugar)
Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Chili Pepper
Brown Sugar
Apple Juice
Garlic Powder
Coriander
"Spice"

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Not sure what happened but these were the best chicken drums evah
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Looks excellent. Do you put the bacon on at the beginning of the cook?

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
That's a great looking cook! Love me some legs...
WTB: Genesis Jr.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
and here is another, "Why in the hell have I never thought of that" post!  Bacon wrapped drumsticks!!!  Are you kidding me????  LOL.  Such a simple idea yet I've never thought of it and I don't think I've ever seen it before!  Very nicely done!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
@AZ Monsoon yes we did. Used center-cut bacon (shorter pieces, and very thinly cut.) One toothpick holds 'em on.

@MikeRocksTheRed Oh I know I got the idea here, probably saw bacon wrapped on thighs or breasts. Sounds a bit kinky LOL.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
and here is another, "Why in the hell have I never thought of that" post!  Bacon wrapped drumsticks!!!  Are you kidding me????  LOL.  Such a simple idea yet I've never thought of it and I don't think I've ever seen it before!  Very nicely done!!!

Ditto ! ! !

Well done ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
Bacon wrapped drummies??? Yes. Yes.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »
Send some of those California way!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »
Looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »
Hey look great and usuall you can get drumsticks for 1/3 the price of wings for whatever reason around here. I'll have to give em a try.  I cooked up some wings tonight and I put the charcoal baskets together and place the wings around the edges indirect.  I see you separate the baskets and put the chicken in the middle.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
... I see you separate the baskets and put the chicken in the middle.

I change it depending on my mood but lately it's been like this. I like the centered rectangular cooking area, which works well for not having to move food around. If I have baskets together or in a "V" shape I kinda get the urge to move stuff farther/nearer during a cook. My flip grate is of course ideal for baskets separated. Doesn't happen often but I could add coals easy this way during a long cook. A 9x13" casserole dish fills the area nicely, cooks evenly, and of course drip pans are rectangular too.

I've also done several chicken legs arranged in a circle with baskets in the center. This is even better with the center of the GBS grate removed so that it doesn't have to get blasted with heat. If you have a vortex that would also be ideal.