Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate material preference for Genesis 1000/2000  (Read 2078 times)

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
Grate material preference for Genesis 1000/2000
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
I know this is a loaded question with many opinions.

I am restoring a Genesis 2000, that did not come with grates and flavorizors.
I am restoring it to showroom condition.
Will purchase flavorizors from rcplanebuyer.

The question is which grates to purchase?
I 'believe' it came originally with with porcelain coated cast iron grates. There are new Weber replacements (7526) available but I understand that these are not the same quality as the original.
If I could find a new (NOS) set of the original ones I would buy them, but that is unlikely.

So, should I buy the really heavy duty stainless ones rcplanebuyer sells or are there alternatives I should be considering?

Greg M

• Happy Cooker
Re: Grate material preference for Genesis 1000/2000
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »
I have the rcplanerbuyer stainless rod grates for my genesis 1000. Best grates I have ever cooked on. Initially I had a bit of a problem with food sticking to them but that only lasted for one or two cooks.

They give great grill marks and retain heat very well. Everything I read says they will last longer than anything else. They are expensive but worth it IMHO.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:04:38 PM »
Thanks Greg M

Just ordered the grates, flavorizers and Z brackets for the wooden slats from rcplanebuyer.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
I bought the stainless steel rod grates for my Genesis C a few years ago. They will outlast the grill itself! Worthy investment for any grill.

But to be perfectly honest I also have a set of 4 Grill Grates on them and really wouldn't want to live without them!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »
I have and still use the original cast iron grates for my 2000 and love them, if they die though I'm all over rcplanebuyer grates, I already have his flavorizers and couldn't be happier.
WTB: Genesis Jr.