Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Asian beef short ribs, grilled mushrooms, and sauteed spinach  (Read 1316 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Got some boneless beef short ribs tonight on a whim. Did a super short (15 minute) marinade, then used the marinade as a glaze.

Marinade:
2 big spoonfuls each Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste) and miso paste
1/2 cup mirin (kind of like sake but sweeter)
1/4 cup water
small squeeze of agave or honey

Boil liquid, stir in pastes and sweetener to dissolve. Allow to cool, add the meat to marinate.

I was a little rushed on cooking these by the time I got home from work and started the grill. I smoked them at about 300° with cherry wood over RO lump, basting with the marinade, until they were about 160° internal, then wrapped them in foil with even more sauce to braise a bit. I did not check their final temp.

At that point I added some more fuel and opened the vents so I could do the mushrooms on the grill as well. They were on about 25 minutes at 450°. Meanwhile I heated up some vegetable/sesame oil combo to quickly saute some spinach and towards the end of the time pulled the wrapped short ribs. Mushrooms got tossed with some olive oil and minced garlic.

Overall it turned out OK. The flavor on the ribs was excellent, but they weren't amazingly tender and were a little dry. I'm glad I had a tasty sauce with them. I think in an ideal world I would either cook the short ribs at a lower temp until they were meltingly tender (possibly foil wrap at some point to braise a bit) OR do a reverse sear and finish at a nice medium. Well, at least I have something to look forward to next time!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Asian beef short ribs, grilled mushrooms, and sauteed spinach
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:25:02 AM »
Looks amazing. Is the Gochujang pretty hot? Korean's not something I've yet tried to make, and would need it fairly mild for the kids.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:05:05 AM »
Looks amazing. Is the Gochujang pretty hot? Korean's not something I've yet tried to make, and would need it fairly mild for the kids.

It's not that hot. Not sure about other brands but I'm pretty sure that one would be fine for kids. I got that one on Amazon. More flavorful than anything else. @addicted-to-smoke

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
Everything looks wonderful , to bad the ribs dried out ...maybe a water pan next time ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
Interesting recipe. Have to put that one on the list. Tfs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:30:16 AM »
good looking cook. How long did you marinade it for? Gochujang is pretty salty and could toughen the meat if left to marinade for too long.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »
good looking cook. How long did you marinade it for? Gochujang is pretty salty and could toughen the meat if left to marinade for too long.

Not long, 15 minutes maybe. I think I just cooked it too fast. But miso is also pretty salty and there was a lot of both in the marinade.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »

Not long, 15 minutes maybe. I think I just cooked it too fast. But miso is also pretty salty and there was a lot of both in the marinade.

It's not likely the salt that made it tough then.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791