Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Question/Experiment Update/Pics Finally !  (Read 3878 times)

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Vortex Question/Experiment Update/Pics Finally !
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
Anyone try low and slow with a Vortex? Filling it up with unlit then a few lit on top?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:09:39 PM by guitarfish »
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
Have never tried doing that.  It might work just well with the lit coals that the bottom, too.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
@Big Dawg  Thinking that might just be like starting a chimney. Visiting my daughter and granddaughters this weekend. Just got them a new 18 as a house warming gift. Doing chicken thighs tonight, made a bootleg Vortex out of a coffee can and just got to thinking...... that would make a lot of room on a 18.
Thanks for the response :) 

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »
@guitarfish, I was thinking along the lines of how the FireButler works.  But, either way (up or down) if you control airflow, you should be able to control combustion to some degree.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
I've tried it a couple of times. Had the thought that I'd go low temp to start with a few lit coals, then pull the lid and let the Vortex light up the rest. I wasn't successful, the Vortex ran away from me.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
I would think you can use it as a barrier for your snake.  Place it slightly off center then pour your charcoal between the vortex and side of the kettle.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:46:08 AM »
I have in an XL BGE w/ the Plate Setter. BUT, I was using a Guru

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Re: Vortex Question/Experiment Update/Better Late Than Never-pics
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:17:37 AM »
So I gave it a try. Cooked pork necks and a small chucky yesterday, going low and slow with my "bootleg" vortex. It worked great! I filled with unlit and added 10 lit on top. Top vent wide open, bottom vent just slivered. After 30 minutes I was pleasantly surprised by how responsive lower vent adjustments were.Almost like gas, but in charcoal time. I was able to hold my target temp and keep it there over 5 hours.
I will post cook pics later this week. Thanks to all who commented ! This gave me a heads up on what to look out for.

Finally had time to post pics courtesy of tropical storm Colin.....

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:01:04 PM by guitarfish »

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Re: Vortex Question/Experiment Update
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
I would like to find a piece of 6"-8" diameter cast iron pipe and miter the top and bottom to fit tight to the kettle side. It would open a lot of space up on the grill. Something like this //  ::) Just need to find some....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:13:48 PM by guitarfish »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Question/Experiment Update/Pics Finally !
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
Great cook!

Never had pork necks, those look tasty!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
i tried it like that, as well as upside down snake barrier.
neither were worth the effort.

the vortex only gets pulled out for wings at my house, and even then I've been using the slow'n'sear for wings instead.
the wing rub my family prefers has some sugars in it, and the vortex just burns them all before they're even crispy skinned.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »
Never tried it for low n slow cooks, only high heat. Cooks my wings and chicken thighs perfectly, imp, without worrying about adjusting the dampers. I just did my first beer can chicken using it, which is not my first on the kettle, and worked very good. This now will be the way I do beer can chickens.

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »
@Big Dawg Thanks! Basically big meaty ribs. Traditionally braised here in the south. I discovered them as a starving musician back in the 80's. Cooking them on a "borrowed' grill because the electricity had been cut off! They were about $.35 a lb in those days. Give them a try. Just cook them like you would normally cook ribs.