Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Football Day photo submission thread  (Read 8040 times)

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: Football Day photo submission thread
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »

Not my cook, but was there to help.
Sorry, been watching a lot of The Walking Dead

Don't really know much about this cooking style. It was in a box with the charcoal over the top of the box.

Sounds like a La Caja China...and I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »

Not my cook, but was there to help.
Sorry, been watching a lot of The Walking Dead

Don't really know much about this cooking style. It was in a box with the charcoal over the top of the box.

Sounds like a La Caja China...and I want one.

That's what it was. It worked well. The thin sheet metal warped with the heat, but didn't seem to effect the performance. Nice relatively inexpensive cooker.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
Super cheap for what it can do, that's for sure...My only issue is the sheer size and lack of space.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »
Super cheap for what it can do, that's for sure...My only issue is the sheer size and lack of space.

I would never buy one. Kind of a large outdoor oven. It really lacked in flavor. Pork need smoke in my opinion. I'd much rather have some smoked ribs and butt than a whole hog cooked this way. But it's my friends thing and he's been doing it for years.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
Well, like a lot of people, my Super Sunday cook started with some Saturday prep.  10.5 lb pork shoulder on sale for 99 cents a pound, rubbed with shakings of both Simply Marvelous Apple and Simply Marvelous Pecan.

Chunks of Apple and Hickory and a double handful of lit coals.  Went about 15 hours and was like butter when I pulled it (possibly a little late but it was super moist and one of the best shoulders I've made in a while, despite some temperature fluctuations.

Nice smoke flavor

You know its a good sized shoulder when you can have more than enough to bring to the party and a little "Chef's Reserve" of this much shredded (made damn fine simple tacos for lunch yesterday)

I'd had some comfort mac n cheese for dinner at a restaurant earlier in the week, and the waitress asked what I wanted for add ins.  I immediately thought jalapenos and bacon.  Plowing through that, I was like, this is such a good combo-bacon, mac n cheese, jalapeno, I need to make this into some kind of an appetizer.
Light bulb idea!-modified ABTs.
I took my jalapenos, cored and seeded them, smoked up a cast iron pan of mac n cheese and some jalapeno and cheese sausages.

Quartered section of sausage, as much mac n cheese as I could squeeze in, stuffed into the jalapenos. (I also did some baby bells, for partygoers afraid of any heat, but in reality, the jalapenos were so thoroughly cored and seeded they didn't have much heat).  Dusted with a little SM Sweet Seduction before putting on the smoker.

Since I wanted to make sure I maintained WKC eligibility (and a shameless plug for the WKC bonus points with the hoodie-extra bonus points for having to snowblow a path to the smoker two days earlier before a big melt-off?), I had to fire up at least a second grill, and put a mini chimney worth into a single basket, with vents wide open, to crisp up the bacon.  Flareups can char a bit, but they make for cool photography.

A nice beer, the remnants of some chili, and that's some good eating!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
My buddy and I tail-gated in the garage for most of the night …. Close to food and cold beer.  Had the game on out there, too.

My camera died just before these potato skins went back on.

Chicken lollipops

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 04:42:46 AM »
So we are doing a secret poll of who the winner should be, if you would like to vote please PM me your first, second, third votes
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
PM Sent
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
@Shoestringshop comon man you cannot vote for yourself for first, second and third......

😀

I am kidding of course he refused to put himself on his list..........
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
Dang, so many good options to vote for...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
Dang, so many good options to vote for...

I was thinking the same thing!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
One more day to vote

I am tallying the votes and will have an announcement tomorrow.