Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Roti Chickens  (Read 995 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
First Roti Chickens
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
I finally used the Christmas roti from my wife tonight to spin a couple of 5 pounders. My Performer lid has the port that holds the therm tip just under the top vent, and it read about 450 for most of the 1:35 long cook. I wanted a baseline cook just to see what all the fuss was, so nothing in prep but olive oil and a poultry rub right before trussing. The skin wasn't crisp, but not rubbery, either....bite through tender and moist, like the inside. We weren't disappointed at all! Thanks for looking and I'm all ears if anyone has any tips to make em even better next time! I'll use more charcoal and bump up the temp some, for sure. Maybe I ought to check my therm, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:56:24 PM by kettlecook »

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: First Roti Chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
Nice looking chickens! I can't see your charcoal set up, but I fill both baskets and place 1 on each side of the rotiss, all vents wide open

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:32:26 AM »
Looks yummy. I cook indirect till almost done then move he coals directly under the chicken for the last couple minutes. Really helps with the skin

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
First Roti Chickens
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:07:39 AM »
Nice looking chickens! I can't see your charcoal set up, but I fill both baskets and place 1 on each side of the rotiss, all vents wide open

That's what I did. One chimney of KComp and then I added small chimney of the same about an hour in. One medium size well seasoned sassafras chunk on the side opposite the vent. Thanks for checking, though. Sorry, I'm terrible at pics.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:10:10 AM by kettlecook »

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:11:46 AM »

Looks yummy. I cook indirect till almost done then move he coals directly under the chicken for the last couple minutes. Really helps with the skin

I'll try that. Thanks!