Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM question  (Read 3160 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Mini WSM question
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
So I got a IMUSA 32 quart steamer at Walmart the other night to make my first Mini WSM (pics to come).  All is going well, but I was just curious, I put in the cooking grate from the Smokey Joe and it was a real chore to get it past the handle bumps on the interior of the IMUSA pot.  Any thoughts?  Once I bang it in there, it sits on the screws I drilled in just fine.  Any help or advice would be great. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Mini WSM question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:23:15 AM »
Do you mean, even when you angle it down in, it still won't go past them easily?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »
Are you are talking about the rivets that hold the pot handles on or the bolts and nuts you put in? On mine, my grates clear the rivets with no problem. I have to angle the lower grate in to pass the upper grate bolts I put in to hold the top grate. I have 2 cooking grates on mine. Maybe the pot bent out of round. How does the Weber lid fit on the pot? That should tell you if it's out of round.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
@crowderjd -  Did your lid fit your pot without any modifications?  I got and IMUSA 32qt pot as well (walmart online) and my lid doesn't quite fit.  I've started using my dremel to grind down the lid all the way around so my lid will fit.  Didn't have enough battery in my dremel to get it done in one round and it was loud as shit, so I haven't hurried back to finish it up.  It does seem there are inconsistancies (which everyone mentions in their Mini instructions), so I can definitely see why taking your lid into the store with you is a good idea!  My local Walmart didn't have the pots, so I had to chance ordering online, and although the lid didn't fit I was confident that I can grind the lip down to make it work and therefore didn't return it.

As far as your question, I just tested my cooking grate from my SJS in my pot and it goes in fine.  I bought a charcoal grate for a 18.5 kettle to use in the bottom of my pot to hold my diffuser and I just compared that to the smokey joe cooking grate and it appears to be slightly smaller.  Not a lot smaller, but it might be just enough for you to use one of those instead of the SJ cooking grate.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed It fits.  Not perfect, but a good seal all the way around.  I don't have the tools for grinding and I don't want to try crimping.  .  Good lord though, the grates go in SO tight.  I really had to shove the bottom one down in.  I think I needed some practice getting the top one in.  It is getting better.  I wrote a whole blog post about my build here:  https://stloueats.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/you-can-do-this-the-mini-wsm/  You might like it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed It fits.  Not perfect, but a good seal all the way around.  I don't have the tools for grinding and I don't want to try crimping.  .  Good lord though, the grates go in SO tight.  I really had to shove the bottom one down in.  I think I needed some practice getting the top one in.  It is getting better.  I wrote a whole blog post about my build here:  https://stloueats.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/you-can-do-this-the-mini-wsm/  You might like it.

Interesting that your lid fits but the grates don't fit well while my grates are fine but my lid doesn't quite fit but my grates do.  This is telling me my overall pot is slightlight bigger around than yours.  Looking at your write up now!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
@crowderjd - Did you do anything to keep the ashes from clogging the bottom vent?  Didn't see that in your blog.

Here it the main post I have been referencing.  He mentions and shows a tin can with holes cut in it to keep ashes from clogging up the vent.  Also puts a handle on the bottom vent to make it easier to adjust.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed I saw that as well.  I plan on putting the tin can down there on the day of my first cook.  Also, I don't like the look of it with the handles.  I have grill gloves, or I can just tap the vents with my tongs as easily.  I've also seen that you can just stir the coals a bit if you find it ashing up. 

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
Overall, I'm not too worried about the grates.  It takes just a couple extra seconds to get them in and out. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed get a file and spray with with WD40 before filing down the lip of the pot - the WD40 keeps the file from clogging up. The dremel will take forever and your bits will get clogged up with aluminum anyways. I learned the hard way.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:08:39 AM »

@crowderjd - Did you do anything to keep the ashes from clogging the bottom vent?  Didn't see that in your blog.

Here it the main post I have been referencing.  He mentions and shows a tin can with holes cut in it to keep ashes from clogging up the vent.  Also puts a handle on the bottom vent to make it easier to adjust.

I just opted for the Smoky Joe Gold, and eliminated that whole ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:42:29 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed get a file and spray with with WD40 before filing down the lip of the pot - the WD40 keeps the file from clogging up. The dremel will take forever and your bits will get clogged up with aluminum anyways. I learned the hard way.

That sounds like a good idea.  I don't have a file at the moment, so my dremel was a quick available option.  I used the cutting wheel on it and it was doing a good (but loud) job until my battery died.  Maybe I'll run over to Ace and pick up a file when I get back at it!