Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: REVERSE SEARED RIBEYES HELP!  (Read 3304 times)

THROUGH THE MUD BBQ TEAM

• Smokey Joe
REVERSE SEARED RIBEYES HELP!
« on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm taking my kettle to a friend's house for a New Year's bash. We are doing some thick cut ribeyes. I will be doing a reverse sear. I have done this countless times on my Kamado, and have the technique down perfect.  But I am still learning the vent settings and coal setups on the kettle.

This is what I was planning to do,  please let me know if I'm close, or way off!

Fill one char-basket with lit coals (it will be around 10 degrees f outside, better than the -20f we just had at Xmas! )

Place basket to one side, meat on the other side for indirect heat

Lid vent over meat
Top vent about half open, I am trying for 250f

Cook to desired internal temp

Fill both baskets with lit coals, vents wide open, Sear!

Any input, tips, advice will help!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: REVERSE SEARED RIBEYES HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 03:30:16 AM »
I always adjust temps with the bottom vents...I always leave the top vent wide open.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:04:22 AM »
I would only cook to your desired internal temp if you pull the steaks off the grill to rest for 10 minutes before searing, otherwise you risk overshooting your temps. This works really well and gives you a few minutes to get the coals screaming hot for a great sear.

If you plan on getting them over the coals faster than that then I would start searing 10-15 degrees below your target internal temp.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
Agree with both indy & austin.  I would only add that this would be a great time to have a set of GrillGrates.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

THROUGH THE MUD BBQ TEAM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Perfect!

Thanks for the input.
I'll be letting the steaks rest while the kettle gets nuclear.
I also need to practice using the bottom vent to control the temp.

As for the Grillgrates,  I'm not sure if it's because of the inflated US dollar,  but they are around  $100 per plate on Amazon.ca

Still trying to find a Vortex in Canada too.

I guess that brings up another question, 

Vortex or Grillgrates for steaks?

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

As for the Grillgrates,  I'm not sure if it's because of the inflated US dollar,  but they are around  $100 per plate on Amazon.ca

I'm not familiar with the issues with Canadian ordering, but can you order directly from GrillGrates?  They do ship to Canada (don't know how much it costs) and they're having an after Christmas sale right now.

I got my Vortex from Owens BBQ and it does not appear that they ship directly to Canada.  There are 4-5 other websites that sell the product, some of them may.

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

THROUGH THE MUD BBQ TEAM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
Thanks BD.

The biggest problem right now is the 'weak' Canadian dollar right now.  Even though it is strong everywhere else in the world,  it is weak compared to the US dollar. 

1 USD costs us $1.35 CAD.

I'll check out the sale though,  it might bring prices back to normal for us north of the border!

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
Owens BBQ does ship to Canada, in fact we do quite often! Best contacting us through our website with what you want to order to get a shipping quote.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:15:39 AM »
I may not have the most reliable input since it's 80 in Florida, but at 10 deg F I think you might need more than 1 charcoal basket to obtain the desired temps you want.

When I do reverse sear, I will place my charcoal baskets in an 'L' shape then once it's sear time move them side by side.

Edit: After having a cup of coffee it appears you discuss using one basket and two baskets..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:53:21 AM by jdefran »

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 04:28:42 AM »

I'm not familiar with the issues with Canadian ordering, but can you order directly from GrillGrates?  They do ship to Canada (don't know how much it costs) and they're having an after Christmas sale right now.

I got my Vortex from Owens BBQ and it does not appear that they ship directly to Canada.  There are 4-5 other websites that sell the product, some of them may.

BD

Is the $104 the sale price? Or is there a discount code somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quadman750

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:24:50 AM »
Owens BBQ does ship to Canada, in fact we do quite often! Best contacting us through our website with what you want to order to get a shipping quote.

Previously ordered Tatonka Dust & have a Vortex being shipped as we speak to Regina, always great service from Owens BBQ

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »

BD

Is the $104 the sale price? Or is there a discount code somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On their website it shows a 10% overall discount.  I think the $104 is the regular price for Weber 22.5 set.

So that would be less that $100, plus shipping.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 08:32:17 AM »

Sorry, when I went to your website, I did not see a place to select a country other than the USA.  Glad you were there to correct my mistake.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy