Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Virgin Snake & more HELP.  (Read 4087 times)

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
Virgin Snake & more HELP.
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »
I am new to the site.  I have  never seen the snake and am dying to try.  I have read all the forums.  I usually use baskets. I am thinking about doing a 5-7lbs turkey breast on a 22" kettle.  How many rows should I use?  It gets cold in OHIO and am good with baskets but snake is killing me  ;).  I was thinking about doing a brine.  Anyone got anything good??  I can inject too but I have never done smoking only in a fryer .  ANY HELP IS GREAT... thanks..  PS. it is for family so if mess up I can put in trash or fix  to try something new..lol  HELP....AND THANKS
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Virgin Snake & more HELP.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
For turkey breasts I just inject with Creole butter and fill a couple of baskets with charcoal on either side of the kettle bowl, put a drip pan between them and then put the breast on the food grate between them. I usually run it wide open (which at your current temp is probably around 350-400 at the grate) for about an hour, hour and a half. The snake is just lining the outside of the bowl with a  2 x 2 (that is actually what I am doing as we speak with Ribs) row of charcoal. Easy peasy and works fantastic at keeping low temps for a LONG time. Do a quick search and you will find tons of threads with pics of it.

Hope that helps..

Tom

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
I just did a couple of turkey breasts last weekend they were only 3 pounds a piece but I used the baskets, cooked indirect and they turned out great. I don't have a ton of experience with the snake but don't think it's necessary for your cook unless it was just something you wanted to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »
I just did a couple of turkey breasts last weekend they were only 3 pounds a piece but I used the baskets, cooked indirect and they turned out great. I don't have a ton of experience with the snake but don't think it's necessary for your cook unless it was just something you wanted to try.

just want to try.. I can do basket.... brine or inject??

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
I just brined mine never been real big on injecting

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »
I just brined mine never been real big on injecting

got a good one for me???

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »
@stellato1976, I cheat.  I bought a charcoal ring for a 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and just run my charcoal around the edge.  Then I just control it with the bottom vent.

The best part is one of the disposable half-pans fits right down inside to collect the drippings ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
What I am gathering is a snake would be better for rib????? short time on breast???????????? no need for snake?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:18:45 PM by stellato1976 »

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Couple teaspoons of kosher salt, cumin and sage, thyme and dried Italian herbs. I didn't measure. Cover the skin in butter or olive oil, rub the brine into the skin lightly and throw it in the fridge for a few hours before you cook, not an exact science by any means but just add in herbs and things you like. The salt is giving you the moisture

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
I think just over an hour at like 275 or so

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
What I am gathering is a snake would be better for rib????? short time on breast???????????? no need for snake?

The snake method is more condusive to long, slow cooks such as ribs and brisket. It conserves charcoal, allows for long and slow burn times, and holds temps well under 275 (from my experiences). Also once temps are under about 60F, getting the snake to work in the 225-275 range takes more coals around the snake that at higher outside temps.

For turkeys (and chicken) whole or in parts I found that the baskets are the better option.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »
Just bouncing things give me your opinion .. love all the info    brine is winning

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
...I have  never seen the snake and am dying to try...

For the turkey you can watch the video on Weber's site. You'll cook a nice turkey with that method.

For the snake? Build one and light it! Monitor the temps and learn from it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »
I'd think for turkey you'd want the higher heat to crisp up the skin, and I'd go baskets. I'm not sure, but I think you should be shooting for the 325 range for turkey.

The snake works great for long lower temp cooks needed for smoking, think in the 225-275 range.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
 @stellato1976 This is how I set up a snake I do 2x2 or 2x1 and will start around 12-14 briqs and put 6 or so on each end like in the picture

Top and bottom vents wide open and warm water in the pan, I think if I had not put the water in I would have had a higher temp and I know I would have a higher temp if I light more charcoal.  The more charcoal you light will give you higher temps as well as regulating temps with the vents.

I like the snake for chicken as the heat won't be in any one area for long so one section doesn't over cook or dry out plus I don't have to rotate my cooking grate or open my lid until I need to temp it. With this set up I got a temp in three different kettles of 300deg.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......