Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gasser Kettle find/cleanup  (Read 9011 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Gasser Kettle find/cleanup
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
@SmokenJoe -  Thanks.  I like the idea of using it for side on the cast iron toys.

@dazzo -  A wok would be sweet in this thing.

Clever how they do direct vs. indirect. How are these things to actually COOK on? dazzo, great idea.

I feel like I need to do at least one cook in it to see how good it works.  In my opinion from the test run last night, it doesn't get as hot as I thought it would.  It did get hot enough to really smoke the years of dripping build up on the lava rocks, but those are right above the flames.  I guess I'll have to go ahead and cook on it and report back.  Maybe I'll use my new gourmet grate and griddle to cook something that way.  Will prevent getting the grill dirty...not that it can't be wiped down after a cook.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 08:43:09 AM »

I'd really like to use the baffle, but mine is shot, so I pretty much just use it for a Manturion and Wok burner    ;D

But it was fun using it for a direct cook at the park (it has wheels, so it's a Go Anywhere, Yes?)

Give it a try. And with new rocks/bricks it won't get too dirty     8)

Direct cooks using the Gourmet Grate System work too, although doesn't get as hot as charcoal but makes the learning curve a little easier to handle.

Dude, relax your chicken.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
@dazzo  -  I notice your lid doesn't have any vents in it.  Is that why you have the foil around the rim?  To allow some airflow into the kettle?

I have some scallops thawed out to cook this evening, so maybe I'll use this grill tonight.  Do you think it will get hot enough for searing/cooking scallops?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »

@MikeRocksTheRed Yup, no vents. This is an earlier version of the kettle gasser (although not as old as the ones with the vent cap on top). About the same vintage as my '78 MBH.

Notice the heavy metal base (front leg if you will) as opposed to the wire base.

Also, notice the little holes on the side of the lid. The lid is supposed to have three standoffs that lifts the lid off of the bowl, allowing for ventilation. Mine are gone, and why someone would pull them off is beyond me. Anyway, the custom foil implements are my current way to lift the lid.

Let a CI pan sit over the direct flame for a while and I think you'll get the sear that you want. Only one way to find out.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »

OK @MikeRocksTheRed

I saw the scallops post under Secret Santa

Looked great!    8)

Tell me you used the kettle gasser.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »

OK @MikeRocksTheRed

I saw the scallops post under Secret Santa

Looked great!    8)

Tell me you used the kettle gasser.

Nope, went with my SS Performer last night.  I got scallops on a really good sale a few weeks ago so I have 5-6 more bags of scallops (6-8 large scallops per bag) in my freezer so a gasser scallop cook is coming very soon.  Might even do a batch tonight.  I will be really intested to see how it does on the gasser.  On my performer with a full chimney and a few pecan chunks directly over it, my IR themo was showing the griddle around 730-740 degrees!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »

Hot n' Fast

I don't think you'll get the kettle gasser that hot.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »

Hot n' Fast

I don't think you'll get the kettle gasser that hot.

I don't think so either, but it will be a good test, escpecially since I took some griddle temp readings last night.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
Curious to hear how the scallops turned out if you did them. Just finished checking CL for the night and no red gasser kettle waiting for me again.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Last night I did brats on the gasser.  I've been doing a red neck sous vide with brats...take them out of the freezer (usually bag them up in foodsaver bags of 3's)
 and stick them in a pot on the stove at low heat to thaw.  By the time I am ready to throw them on the grill they are usually cookeed to around 140.  They cooked really good on the gasser.  I had my gourmet grate in with the griddle so I could get some temp readings.  WIth the gasser on direct heat after running for about 20-30 minutes I was getting temps on the griddle around 600.  Once I opened the lid a few times and change the flam to indirect the griddle dropped to and stayed around 450-500.  I'll do some scallops in the next day or two and post the results. 

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
Wow, sounds like it's easy to start and really putting out a decent amount of heat. Seems pretty acceptable to me, what the hell does Consumer Reports know anyways? ;)
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:08 PM »
Don't want to mess it up?

Get one of these...

8)

@dazzo, what size wok is that?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
It's an original Weber wok.

~24"

They have tabs to allow it to sit on an 18 or a 22

One of my favorite accessories!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
Oh cool, that's a slick setup. I just picked up my first functioning gas kettle this past weekend but I suspect that wok would be even harder to find.

gps4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 06:19:19 AM »
do you have a model number for this and where might someone get replacment parts?