Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gasser Kettle find/cleanup  (Read 9010 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Gasser Kettle find/cleanup
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »
I found a weber gasser on Offerup last week.  Got it yesterday.  Previous owner says it worked the last time he used it 5-6 years ago.  It is in really good shape and has cleaned up very well. So far I've work about 2 hours on it.  Will probably cleanup the deflector plate a little bit more and still need to clean the inside of the lid. Has a few dings in the lid but it's still in round. 

Of course my larger propane tank that came with my performer last spring is finally out of gas and I haven't filled my smaller tank yet, so I haven't been able to fire it up yet.

Pre cleanup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:16:04 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Gasser Kettle find/cleanup
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »
Looks great!
Did you determine a date of manufacture?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
Saw that on offerup too.  Wondered if someone on WKC would get it.  Nice snag!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
You did a great job Mike. I'm really jealous of that find. lt's in great shape and looks awesome after the cleanup.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
That's awesome!  So there's still hope in me finding one!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
@jcnaz -  Haven't gotten around to determining the age on it yet.  Will probably try to figure it out today.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
I saw that as well.  Glad to know someone here got it.  The cleanup looks phenomenal.  Let us know how it goes when you fire it up.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
I'm thingking this is an 81 or maybe newer.  Looking at the catalog pics in this thread, the front leg doesn't match my grill until the pics in the 81 catalog.  That is also the first year that appears to offer the tank scale.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
Really cool find and a great cleanup Mike - congrats!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 07:13:37 AM »
Awesome score.  That deflector plate is in primo shape compared to most of the ones I've seen posted, and the rest of the grill looks really cool after the cleanup (oil those handles though!).  I'm starting to think I need a gasser kettle in my life.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »
Excellent score.  Very nicely done on the restore.  Wow makes me want to look for a Weber gasser kettle.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »
Finally borrowed a propane tank from a neighbor.  Both of the tanks I currently have don't have a screw on connector since the one that came with my performer had a quick connect adaptor and I out one on the proper 5lb tank it as well.

This video was the very first test start.  See for yourself:

https://vimeo.com/151595253

Burned who knows how many years of food drippings off of the lava rocks it came with.  I'll replace those before I cook on it.  Everything seems to be working well and it is making for a nice patio heater at the moment.  Not sure if I want to cook on it or make this one a looker.  Maybe some cooks on cast iron so I don't mess anything up?

I'm stoked that it fired right up!  Have done a little sanding on the handles and need to finish them up then this grill is about as RRR'ed as it can get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »
Don't want to mess it up?

Get one of these...

8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
We're all looking at how great your cleanUP went and drooling over having that beauty to saute mushrooms & onions, in the back yard, while we monitor the burgers on the coal burner.  Great catch, congrats !!!                        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »
Clever how they do direct vs. indirect. How are these things to actually COOK on? dazzo, great idea.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch