Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dinner  (Read 3119 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
Dinner
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple, had a bunch of kids over tonight,  and they wanted steak.  130 in a bath for 2 hours, then cold shocked for an hour. Seasoned with tatonka dust. Then fired up the vortex,  25 minutes of hickory and cherry and finished with a sear over the top. Cut it all up kid sized and kept a nice chunk for the chef. Some canned corn and some rice and we all ate good. One kid said he hates steak, his parents always order it medium well he said. He came back for seconds and thirds. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
Awesome looking steak!  Have not tried this bath and cold shock method you speak....never really heard much about either. 

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »
Sorry I should of explained better. The bath= sous vide immersion circulator. I could explain it to you but Google would be better. Cold shocking is what I do after the bath to quick chill in ice water before cooking on the weber

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
Wow! If that one kid coming back for thirds didn't say it all, the first pic of the cut steak does. Awesome!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »
Steak just the way I like it,  with a heart beat!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Great looking steak!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:53 AM »
Steak just the way I like it,  with a heart beat!

My way too... can't stand a steak WELL DONE!

That looks great!!!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
That steak looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
what is the cold shock supposed to do? bring the internal temp down so you can sear longer? Steak looks perfect!
Hotty Toddy!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »
what is the cold shock supposed to do? bring the internal temp down so you can sear longer? Steak looks perfect!

Exactly!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:38 AM »
I've been so back and forth on a Sous Vide being added to my XMAS list....still a bit back and forth, but have added Rice-a-roni!!!!!!   Haven't had that in so long and its sooo good.

Steak looks amazing and has the Sous Vide back on my radar....maybe a little after XMAS present to myself! I love the idea of a ice bath so you can indirect with some smoke for enough time to absorb some smoke before searing.  Very nicely done!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

navin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »
I've been so back and forth on a Sous Vide being added to my XMAS list....still a bit back and forth, but have added Rice-a-roni!!!!!!   Haven't had that in so long and its sooo good.

Steak looks amazing and has the Sous Vide back on my radar....maybe a little after XMAS present to myself! I love the idea of a ice bath so you can indirect with some smoke for enough time to absorb some smoke before searing.  Very nicely done!

The ANOVA one is on sale right now for $125ish shipped. I just picked one up since I'm gonna be way too lazy to go outside and fire up the grill this winter..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 12:24:59 PM »
@navin - I've seen that....but weather isn't much of an issue here in the desert.  I do more long smokes than the types of cooks the sous vide would lend itself to, so that's why its a little further down my list than a few other things.

If anyone from ANOVA is trolling this site and would like to give me a sous vide to review and spread the good word about I am all for it!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

navin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
Ah, thought you were a VA/DC resident going by the avatar and user name..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
@navin - I was until last January.  Still have my Caps season tickets. Sold the entire season to a friend though so I do t have any available this season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk