Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I didn't cook anything today  (Read 1200 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
I didn't cook anything today
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:15:59 PM »
Or last night. Which is depressing, but a time saver. And I guess I could say that I cooked - I put a pan of enchiladas into the oven. But I used the oven.

Wednesday I cooked up a rib eye on the red Performer, some veg, and made a salad. Used the wire-style baskets, those you can fill up to a height where the cooking grate is literally sitting on the coals. Reverse sear ends up a grate thickness from the coals. Beat that SnS and Vortex! The steak was good, so was everything else.

While dinner was cooking, I prepped a six pound chicken and had it ready, skewered and on a tray. Readied the rotisserie on the brownie. Once dinner was cooked I put on the welding gloves and moved the baskets to the brownie (Currently, the brownie is the designated rotisserie kettle). Set the skewer, flipped the switch, and went into the house to eat.

Hour and a quarter later I turned off the roti, checked the temp - 174 in the thigh, 162 in the breast. Left the lid off for a few to let the coals heat up and the chicken cool. Gloves back on, I moved the baskets directly under the chicken per @MacEggs. His tip worked great, the skin crisped up nicely.

I fed the skin to the dogs. Because I cooked the chicken for enchiladas and wasn't going to use the skin. But I tried a piece of the skin, it was good.

I've had a real problem with chicken enchiladas. A few years ago I could get a Vons rotisserie chicken and make two 9 by 13 pans of enchiladas with a $6.99 to $7.99 chicken. A large amount of food. But Vons (Safeway) has been downsizing the chickens to the point where I can barely make one pan with those near-Cornish hens. But the other day they put whole chickens on sale for 59 cents a pound. And I have a rotisserie. So one cooked chicken is back to being two dinners (plus a lunch or two). The enchiladas were an improvement over those made with grocery store rotisserie chicken. Not so overcooked.

So the roti is a game changer, or at least a chicken changer for me. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving turkey, and then maybe standing rib roast at Christmas.

No pictures. It was dark. And really, it just looked like a chicken.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:21:54 PM by Jon »

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: I didn't cook anything today
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:25:25 AM »
Nice post! If I do a chicken on the roti, the leftovers are almost always used in enchiladas the next day too.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: I didn't cook anything today
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »
Thank you. You live where Mexican food definitely thrives.