Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How long to smoke a turkey on 22in. Kettle?  (Read 1305 times)

johnnymac007

• Happy Cooker
How long to smoke a turkey on 22in. Kettle?
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
I plan on smoking a turkey on my Weber Kettle grill.  Figured I would stack coals up on two side with a water pan in the middle and turkey on top.

How long do you all smoke your turkeys for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
How long to smoke a turkey on 22in. Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
Sorry for a blunt answer that doesn't really help but...until the thermometer says it's hot enough. 

Depends on size, grill temp, wind....but anywhere from 2.5-4 hrs I'd say. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: How long to smoke a turkey on 22in. Kettle?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
My grandfather has smoked a turkey on the kettle for 40 years. He uses the method for indirect cooking described in the manual that come with a Weber kettle. Start with 25 lit coals per side and add 8 unlit coals per side each hour. We also add some wood chips throughout the cool when adding coals. This is using original Kingsford Blue Bag. It takes 11-12 minutes per pound using this method, though now that I have my Thermapen I suspect that may be a little overkill. I also prefer a different, cleaner burning coal than KBB but I'm not willing to fight my 85 year old grandfather on either!

I would set up a drip pan but NOT fill it with water. You will want your temps 325 (definitely above 300) or the skin will not crisp up and rubbery poultry skin is gross. Water is a huge heat sink that will keep your temps lower and also create a more moist environment that isn't conducive to crisping the skin.

There are definitely other methods to smoke a turkey but I can say that this has worked for 40 years and it's all I've ever had on Thanksgiving in my 28 years.

I will be messing around wlth some other techniques for the Thanksgiving turkey throw down.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:45:24 AM »
Here is a link to my first turkey from last year:
Easy simple rookie cook.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/first-kettle-turkey-14006/msg140010/#msg140010
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
I cook the turkey until I have 165 degrees in the breast and 178ish in the thigh.

I usually allow 5-6 hours depending on the size of the bird. This gives me resting time if I get done early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

johnnymac007

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 07:21:22 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Charlie:  That turkey looked mighty fine.

Mine took 4.5 hours to reach the target temp.  It was cold last night and I had to lift the lid more often than I'd hoped to put more charcoal in.

It turned out looking really good.  We are going to have it for dinner tonight.  I'll try to get some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Thanks @johnnymac007 I plan on doing the same general plan this year but using the 22" WSM for more head room.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP