Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Pizza Night!  (Read 1577 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Pizza Night!
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »
This is my third cook with the “Kettle Pizza”. The first time around, I didn’t have the fire hot enough, but had pretty good success (KBB with some small wood chunks). The second time, I had the fire way too hot! (KBB with large chunks of oak) Made adjustments and had some decent pizzas. This time around, I used Coshell briquettes that Troy was kind enough to give me. I used about 1-small chimney of unlit on the bottom and 1-large chimney of fully lit on top.

This is the dough I have been making since I was 14 years old. I separated it into 4 equal balls and put it into the unlit oven to rise.

It took a bit over an hour to double in size…

This is how I arranged the fire…

Here is a pizza cookin away. I have another cooking grate up top, with three fire bricks to try and radiate heat on top of the pizzas. This works “OK”, but I’m sure there is a more effective way.

The bottom of the crust was almost perfect! Overall, the crust was crispy and not burnt.

This pizza has Alfredo sauce, that super soft mozzarella, bacon bits and arugula. I sprinkled the bacon bits on half way through the cook and the arugula was put on right after it came out of the oven. Believe it or not, my daughters requested it this way. It was very tasty!

My stone broke on the last pizza, but I was still able to get it finished. I think I’m gonna break down and get a steel ( Baking Steel ), so I don’t have to replace another stone. I got this stone (Pampered Chef) off CL for $15, but still, money is money. The Coshell was very efficient at maintaining the high heat needed to cook pizzas. I did four pizzas and had enough heat left to do more. Hope you all enjoy the pics!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:44:07 AM by Jason »

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Pizza Night!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:33:46 AM »
Pizza look great, sound like a pretty solid set up for the kettle pizza.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 08:11:08 AM »
That's a killer sounding and looking pie!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
Yes, that looks awesome!

I recommend a kiln shelf from a pottery supply store.
I use one in my KP set-up, and no signs of breakage. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
I picked up the Ricardo Pizza Stone. Its Cordierite and I think 5/8 inch thick. Great results from my first round of pizzas and very affordable. @MacEggs turned me on to the kiln shelf this is the same material just sold in my neighborhood over traveling across town to a pottery shop.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:29:37 AM »
I have a baking steel that I use for pizza sometimes.  The bottoms seem to cook faster than the stones I have, but it works and it won't break.

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Good looking pizza. I'm thinking seriously about investing in one of the kettle pizza attachments.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Makes me want a kettle pizza. Maybe it'll go on my Christmas list